1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb noobie question re chainset

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by swee'pea99, 16 Mar 2008.

1. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

Just thinking of having a go at this fixed business, looking to try it out cheap...can I get a regular 42/52 chainset off ebay (they're always the cheapest) and take off the 52 ring and combine the remaining 42 with a 16t rear sprocket and away I go? (From googling, 42/16 seems to be a pretty standard starter combination). Thanks for any advice.

2. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy New Member

The only problem I've had with a non-track chainring is that some of the teeth will be shorter (to help the chain move off the ring), and therefore if your chain is a bit slack it is more likley to jump of than it would if you used a track chian ring.

3. swee'pea99

Thanks for that. I can simply remove the larger chainring and leave t'other in place tho', yes?

4. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Yes, basically.
    I did more or less the same as you, only I took off the inner chainring and ran 53x16*. I was on singlespeed, not fixed, with a conversion kit on the rear end, but so long as you get the chain line and tension right you'll be fine.

* - I don't do twiddly, but that set up was a bit too manly for Devon hills. Even Chuck Norris would baulk at that. I'm on 46x18 now. Much nicer. :smile:

5. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

[quote name='swee'pea99']Thanks for that. I can simply remove the larger chainring and leave t'other in place tho', yes?[/QUOTE]
    Oooh, forgot to mention. You can get half width chainring bolts from HubJub (very fine online shop, nice to deal with :smile:) which may come in handy for what you want to do, seeing as the standard bolts will be designed to go through two rings. £5.50 a set.

6. swee'pea99

Thanks Chuffy - that's great. As is ' I am a giant ear.......'!:smile:

7. RedBike

RedBike New Member

When I built my fist fixie I ended up using a load of washers behind/infront of the chainring to give me a straight chainline.

You need to be carefull which bottom bracket you use and how you mount the rear sprocket.

8. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

or you can save your money and simply make the original female parts shorter with a countersink drill bit.;)

9. Christopher

Christopher Über Member

Thanks for the link Chuffy - I cut bits off an old chainring to make spacers so the single ring would fit on my double crank mountings. Looks an absolute dog's dinner!

10. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

53:16 is ENORMOUS....

i grew up in devon, that's a savage gear.

11. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

After one painful ride up onto the Haldons I went shopping for a smaller chainring....:sad:

12. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

that Chuffy's an enormous showoff!!!

with big manly thighs.

13. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Sweet of you to notice the thighs though. :tongue:xx(:biggrin:

14. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

I like smaller rings!!