Dumb noobie question re chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just thinking of having a go at this fixed business, looking to try it out cheap...can I get a regular 42/52 chainset off ebay (they're always the cheapest) and take off the 52 ring and combine the remaining 42 with a 16t rear sprocket and away I go? (From googling, 42/16 seems to be a pretty standard starter combination). Thanks for any advice.

Andy Pandy

The only problem I've had with a non-track chainring is that some of the teeth will be shorter (to help the chain move off the ring), and therefore if your chain is a bit slack it is more likley to jump of than it would if you used a track chian ring.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for that. I can simply remove the larger chainring and leave t'other in place tho', yes?

Yes, basically.
I did more or less the same as you, only I took off the inner chainring and ran 53x16*. I was on singlespeed, not fixed, with a conversion kit on the rear end, but so long as you get the chain line and tension right you'll be fine.

* - I don't do twiddly, but that set up was a bit too manly for Devon hills. Even Chuck Norris would baulk at that. I'm on 46x18 now. Much nicer. :smile:

[quote name='swee'pea99']Thanks for that. I can simply remove the larger chainring and leave t'other in place tho', yes?[/QUOTE]
Oooh, forgot to mention. You can get half width chainring bolts from HubJub (very fine online shop, nice to deal with :smile:) which may come in handy for what you want to do, seeing as the standard bolts will be designed to go through two rings. £5.50 a set.

RedBike

When I built my fist fixie I ended up using a load of washers behind/infront of the chainring to give me a straight chainline.

You need to be carefull which bottom bracket you use and how you mount the rear sprocket.

Christopher

Über Member
Thanks for the link Chuffy - I cut bits off an old chainring to make spacers so the single ring would fit on my double crank mountings. Looks an absolute dog's dinner!

Top Bottom