Dumb question? - difference between audax and sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
I am not a particularly fast (or fit!) cyclist with a Surly LHT with flat bars, rather than drops. I would like to try an audax/sportive, but not sure what the difference is, or whether I would be a fish out of water as a plodder at the back. I'm not really interested in racing (or it, in me) but would like to try 100km within a reasonable time limit as a challenge. Would I be welcome/allowed, and what is the difference between an audax and a sportive ?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hello and :welcome:

The main difference is that sportives have route marking, marshalling, feed points and often mechanical support and broom wagons. An audax has none of these - you get a route card and that's about your lot, so you need to be more self-sufficient. Having said that, the controls are often at cafes or village halls, so you can buy drink, cakes, bacon rolls and what have you.
From my own observation, sportives tend to have more wannabe racers on carbon race bikes, whereas audaxes are more like a fast CTC ride with steel bikes and saddlebags, mudguards and the like.

jimboalee

Not such a dumb question.

A sportive is a fully waymarked ride with marshals at dangerous junctions. Your departure is timed, your arrival at the finish is timed; and your elapsed time is usually published on the organiser’s website. There is usually some free food and maybe some promotional givaways.

Riders often form impromptu peletons and usually have a great time. And, the only thing which can spoil the day is the P* Fairy.

An Audax is a ‘Private excursion’ where a non marked route is suggested between designated control points. There is a start time. Each control point has an opening and closing time and it is the object of the exercise to get a card stamped while the control is open; in sequence or, if possible, in time by the shortest distance. There are usually a couple of ‘information controls’ where a question is to be answered to prove the rider visited that place.

As long as there is a valid stamp at each ‘manned control’ and the answers to the ‘information control’ questions are correct, the ride has been completed.

There is no timing. There maybe some free food and a small momento of the event.

Successful AUK members can purchase a medal or cloth patch for the distance ridden.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I know both are popular, but have never seen the attraction of either. Sure it must be nice to ride in a group and the camararderie that comes with it, but it's so organised - the time, the route, the distance, the dates.

I'd rather have the freedom to get on me bike and do a route and distance that I want on a day that I want.

On another thread, somebody made a pertinent point about the cost of sportives when you're basically riding on a public highway.

jimboalee

I know both are popular, but have never seen the attraction of either. Sure it must be nice to ride in a group and the camararderie that comes with it, but it's so organised - the time, the route, the distance, the dates.

I'd rather have the freedom to get on me bike and do a route and distance that I want on a day that I want.

On another thread, somebody made a pertinent point about the cost of sportives when you're basically riding on a public highway.

I got to that way of thinking. Now I do mostly DIYs with only the occassional Midland Mesh and calendar ride.

I've just received my Brevet 2000 badge. 20 x 100km rides. For this season, my aim is a Brevet 3000, which is a mix of 100, 150 and 200s that add up to 3000km.
Then in 2012, a Brevet 4000, which is 20 x 200km rides. Then the world ends.

jimboalee

Hello and :welcome:

The main difference is that sportives have route marking, marshalling, feed points and often mechanical support and broom wagons. An audax has none of these - you get a route card and that's about your lot, so you need to be more self-sufficient. Having said that, the controls are often at cafes or village halls, so you can buy drink, cakes, bacon rolls and what have you.
From my own observation, sportives tend to have more wannabe racers on carbon race bikes, whereas audaxes are more like a fast CTC ride with steel bikes and saddlebags, mudguards and the like.

Cycle club organised Audaxes are more like informal races between rival club members. The Beacon Anticlock 100, the Solihull micro rando and the Warwicksire Wanderer were informally 'won' by Solihull CC. :laugh:

In 2009, Coventry Olympic were 'pipped' home in the Solihull micro rando by a home rider, by 20 seconds. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Rick, I am pleased that you brought this up because I am exactly the same boat as you.

I didn`t know the difference either but now I know it is the Audax that I am interested in.

Because of a motorcycle accident and later, a cycling accident I find DF bikes very uncomfortable. I snapped both my forearms in the motorbike accident and sprung my collarbone and cracked a vertebræ in a cycle accident.

I left bikes alone for a long time but then on the spur of the moment bought an ICE recumbent trike last year. It was great. I could ride miles and miles day in and day out without any arm or neck discomfort and without acing muscles the following day.

The only problem was that it was not quick enough to keep up with my partners road bike. I have now sold the trike and am waiting for my new red Bacchetta Giro 26 to be delivered. I am looking forward to 2011 now.

I had the same idea as you regarding doing a couple of 100km rides but that has all changed. Denmark, where I live is a big cycling nation and once the word got out that the trike had gone and a Giro 26 was coming I started getting roped in for other rides.

It now turns out that the Paris-Brest-Paris Audax is being run in 2011 and that is now my goal. It is a huge challenge for a 52 year old, non cycling, unfit, recumbent rider who has never ridden a 2 wheeled recumbent. It is onlt 1200kms, so I have a bit of work in front of me.

Moodyman...it all comes down to each to his own I think. The PBP and LEL draw thousands of riders from all over the world so there must be something to it. When I find out I will let you know.

Steve

PpPete

Legendary Member
Heard the difference described thus:

Sportive: Bunch of cyclists pretending to race.
Audax: Bunch of cyclists pretending not to race.

Never done a sportive though, a) 'cos they are expensive - (see other threads) and b) I'm not quick enough to even pretend to race.

SteveinDenmark .... :bravo:...:cheers: that's ambition.

oldroadman

Veteran
Heard the difference described thus:

Sportive: Bunch of cyclists pretending to race.
Audax: Bunch of cyclists pretending not to race.

Never done a sportive though, a) 'cos they are expensive - (see other threads) and b) I'm not quick enough to even pretend to race.

SteveinDenmark .... :bravo:...:cheers: that's ambition.

Highlighted will include plenty of posers on road race bikes, will pretend they are in a race and some will carry on like idiots. Most of these would never last a local 4th cat chipper, let aone a race at a decent level.

oldroadman

Veteran
Highlighted will include plenty of posers on road race bikes, will pretend they are in a race and some will carry on like idiots. Most of these would never last a local 4th cat chipper, let aone a race at a decent level.

And Audax rides are much more sociable and easy going, although there will always be a quick group!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's when you look beyond the 100km events that Audax starts to look very different. One of the basic awards is the SR or Super Randonneur series. This involves riding one each of 200, 300, 400 and 600km events within a season (longer events may be substituted).

As Steve says, there's the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200km. Audax UK was founded specifically to provide qualifying events in the UK. AUK now runs its own 'long' event every four years: London-Edinburgh-London, 1400km (see the LEL thread elsewhere on CC).

zigzag

Veteran
short audaxes and sportives are very similar. sportives are better supported, and you pay for that, audaxes are less supported and cheaper. surly lht is suitable bike for audaxes, but ideally i would like something more responsive for riding in hilly areas. sign up for one in your area and you'll experience it at first hand.

jimboalee

I've ridden Audax on...

Peugeot PX10 531 race bike,
Specialized SWorks,
Peugeot Carbolite with safety handles,
Dawes Giro 500,
Land Rover Tahora 'slicked up' MTB,
Carrera Subway 8,
an old 27 x 1 3/8" 531 tourer I had resprayed,
Apollo County gents City 'gas pipe' bike with a Sturmey
and
BSA 20 shopping bike with a flask of coffee in the back box.

In the regs, it says any type of bike can be used as long as it is solely propelled by muscular effort.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've only done one sportive, but my partner and I entered that to set ourselves a challenge - he did the long route, I did the medium one. Having the target of a set ride on a set date (with some hideous hills that I walked up!) motivated me to get out more and challenge myself. At the time it was the longest ride I had done.

Top Bottom