Dumfounded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Just popped into the Ribble shop in bluewater and it made me feel like an ignorant cyclist. Tyres like tractor tyres, integral stems and bars, no idea if you could adjust them easily. Brakes hidden. Enormous jockey wheels. Didn't even recognise an e bike!

All very pretty, but couldn't tell by looking which were better. I feel for lesser experienced people, going into the shop for a new bike. Dread to think what they would choose.

I was only browsing as I was in the shopping centre, buying a suit to wear at my daughters wedding in October. I did want to look at their track frames, but they seem to have been discontinued as they are too niche.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thats what LBS staff are for.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A couple of years ago I was on a train with my bike (after a FNRttC I think) and a guy got on at or near Gatwick with a brand new bike. I think there may be a big bike store outlet nearby.

We got talking and he proudly showed me his bike. It was like an alien spaceship, I was fascinated. That was when I first learned about thru-axles. A really interesting experience. I think he may have thought I had just stepped out of one of those "Victorian Farm" documentaries.

Could you ever tell by looking which was better ?
Times change and so do the products. And yes their Ebikes are very stealthy. If it wasn't for that button on the top tube you'd not notice.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Never mind about Ribble, what suit did you buy?
Just a cheapie from Suits Direct. When my other daughter got married, we all wore hire suits from Moss Bros. It took all the decision making out of the process.

Wedding costs for a single day are staggering. The bride & mother of the bride outfits especially and we've volunteered to find these!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Thats what LBS staff are for.
Not sure, when asking about their track/fixed bikes, which are discontinued, he said, we have a single speed commuter bike!

I can understand superfat tyres if you want to ride on a beach. I rode on shingle between Hastings and Bexhill just for giggles on 28mm rubber. Soft sand, snowy forest or moutain trail, boggy trails. I have seen them on the road but have no idea why.

vickster

Legendary Member
A couple of years ago I was on a train with my bike (after a FNRttC I think) and a guy got on at or near Gatwick with a brand new bike. I think there may be a big bike store outlet nearby.

We got talking and he proudly showed me his bike. It was like an alien spaceship, I was fascinated. That was when I first learned about thru-axles. A really interesting experience. I think he may have thought I had just stepped out of one of those "Victorian Farm" documentaries.
Evans HO was (is?) Gatwick way, they had a big shop in Crawley

I can understand superfat tyres if you want to ride on a beach. I rode on shingle between Hastings and Bexhill just for giggles on 28mm rubber. Soft sand, snowy forest or moutain trail, boggy trails. I have seen them on the road but have no idea why.
How fat is superfat ?

I used to ride 18mm tubs back in the day but now I'm much'happier on chubby tyres.

Top Bottom