"Dummy"rides on Motorway hard shoulder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

TVC

Makes you wonder. I was going down the A14 to Suffolk last week and passed three cyclists. A dual carriageway with a constant stream of lorries, and works like a motorway in all ways. These were proper cyclists too, a pair of roadies and a tourer fully loaded. Mad.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can understand why people do it.... when I got my first road bike I started riding to Clitheroe, which is about 7 miles from my home. The only route I knew as a car driver was along the busy A59, which was horrible. It wasn't until I sat down and studied the map that it dawned on me that there are a couple of much more pleasant alternatives. It sometimes takes a leap of imagination to adopt new or different routes to those you've always known.

Jezston

Über Member
Shame we didn't get much of a story - did they do it on purpose, or did they take a wrong turn? Can be easy to take a wrong turn and find yourself on a one-way pavementless stretch to a road your really don't want to be on!

Can't imagine cycling on the motorway, especially in that weather, would have been anything other than terrifyingly unpleasant.

Linford

I want to know which CC'er was taking the short cut..:whistle:

Caption Comp anyone :biggrin:

_70460086_m1cyclist.jpg

Jezston

Über Member
"aaarrrrghhhhhhhhhhf**kthis"

Shame we didn't get much of a story - did they do it on purpose, or did they take a wrong turn? Can be easy to take a wrong turn and find yourself on a one-way pavementless stretch to a road your really don't want to be on!

Can't imagine cycling on the motorway, especially in that weather, would have been anything other than terrifyingly unpleasant.
A bit OT, I think I recall an old lady (with dog in basket) taking a wrong turn and ending up on the M25 with her mobility scooter :ohmy:

snorri

Legendary Member
I would think most cyclists have followed desire lines rather than take the long way round that authorities have provided for their "safety and convenience", I'm guilty:rolleyes:.

Absolutely absurd to do such a thing but you do have to give him some credit. He obviously knew how to get from A to B as quick as possible in the bad weather and to do it safely by riding in the hard shoulder! He even managed to put some waterproofs on!!

Top Bottom