Dundee rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm in Dundee on a course for 4 days next week. Taking the tourer and hoping to get out a couple of times in the early morning.

Any suggestions for good rides around the 30-35 mile mark?

I don't really like playing with commuter traffic. In Aberdeen I can get out for an hour and a half or so on a relatively quiet route, and then as the commuters heat up I come back by a cycle path and bus lane.

Cheers

aoj

I'm in Dundee on a course for 4 days next week. Taking the tourer and hoping to get out a couple of times in the early morning.

Any suggestions for good rides around the 30-35 mile mark?

I don't really like playing with commuter traffic. In Aberdeen I can get out for an hour and a half or so on a relatively quiet route, and then as the commuters heat up I come back by a cycle path and bus lane.

Cheers

Do a bit of poking around the internet.
See the link http://www.dundeetravelinfo.com/cycle.asp for info on the 26 mile circular cycle route around Dundee it is mainly on paths. You can also cycle to Arbroath following the coast via Carnoustie and back again mainly on a traffic free path.
If you don't mind a bit of forest track you can cycle across the Tay road bridge on the middle pedestrian path, access via a cycle friendly lift, then to Tayport and into Tentsmuir forest and back again it is mainly traffic free path.

ACS

Legendary Member
Thanks aoj, are you not allowed to cycle on the road at the bridge?

No cycling on the bridge itself but there is a very good path down the middle of it. Can recommend the run over to Tentsmuir or the area between Gauldy over to Hazleton walls. If you fancy an ice cream I can high recommed Jannetas on South Street in St Andrews; do excellent coffee as well.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
i would head over the bridge to fife...head along the cycle path to newburgh, then from there head to cupar then go to st andrews for a wee bot of lunch then head back over the bridge, head by the RAF base

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Hmm I'm on a training course every day, so no lunch I'm afraid. I was thinking about a first light blast, but maybe I need to go after work and get an ice cream. Fife sounds like a plan. I've found a route that looks ok.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Hmm I'm on a training course every day, so no lunch I'm afraid. I was thinking about a first light blast, but maybe I need to go after work and get an ice cream. Fife sounds like a plan. I've found a route that looks ok.

do it the other way around and you`ll have a good wee couple of climbs

aoj

do it the other way around and you`ll have a good wee couple of climbs
+1 to that. The one coming out of Balmerino is good. If you are going at first light you will not have to worry about much commuting traffic around Dundee or Fife.

How do you manage it? Most courses I've been on no one leaves the bar early enough to be able to get up for a first light run!

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Well - I'm enjoying my cycling. I haven't done that loop yet, but went to St Andrews tonight, had a nice pizza at a table on the pavement and cycled back. Been doing some strava hunting, which is fun on a 14 kilo touring bike with flat pedals.

ACS

Legendary Member
Well - I'm enjoying my cycling. I haven't done that loop yet, but went to St Andrews tonight, had a nice pizza at a table on the pavement and cycled back. Been doing some strava hunting, which is fun on a 14 kilo touring bike with flat pedals.

This may give you a bit of a challenge: - http://app.strava.com/segments/740107

Couple of miles outside St Andrews and the hill tops out not far from the pub in Strathkinnis. In fact you HAVE to pass the pub to get back the dark side.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I don't think I'll get a chance to go back there. I do better on sprints than climbs anyway and my legs are getting weary now. I left St Andrews last night on the A91 and headed for Tayport.

It's the same most places I suspect, but I've found some pretty rubbish cycle paths. Poor signage, poor surfaces, even one where the kerb isn't dropped.

Top Bottom