Dungeness to Durness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Ok, I might be going a bit quiet on here for a couple weeks*, as on Saturday I catch the train down to Kent, and from Sunday I'm riding up to Durness in the North West Highlands. It's a sort of End-2-End but the other diagonal to LEJOG.

This is the map of the route: -
d2d_tracks.jpg

I can't seem to put a table on the forum, so I've put my planned days into an html page here: -
http://macnet.org.uk/routes/D2D/d2d_Route.html

I'm hoping that I'll have the energy and internet connection to put some updates on here as I go. Currently I'm flipping between excitement and fear :eek: :hyper: :crazy:

*Oi! Don't all celebrate at once! :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That looks great! Good to see something different to lejog. Bon chance mon ami :-)

Sharky

Guru
In case you didn't know, but you have the option of crossing the Medway using the M2 bridge. There is a service road running parallel to the motorway. Then you can drop down into Cuxton, then head for Cobham and onto Gravesend. Maybe a more pleasant journey.

Good luck
Keith

sight-pin

Veteran
I'll give you wave as you go up the Dunton rd if i'm on my way down:hello:
Looks like you've chose some nice weather for it. Have fun:okay:

Last edited:
I rode the Durness to Dover Route 7 years ago, In Northern Scotland I used a lot of the Bridleways and Landrover tracks as i like to do off road. I used the Gaik pass, from Drumguish on the NCN 7 to Dalnacardoch Lodge on the A9 near to Calvine, which was a tad hairy as I had to wade the river, but it was so nice a view and lonely I think somewhere I have my GPX files. I was in the main wild camping, and B&B.

KneesUp

Guru
That looks a great ride. I flipping love the north of Scotland - I'd be tempted to call in at the lovely campsite at Scourie before the equally lovely one at Sango Sands / Durness (assuming you are camping of course!) so I could go on the Handa Island ferry, just because Handa is one of my favourite places to go. Not sure if the ferry is running this time of year though.

Whatever you do, it looks like it will be amazing! Enjoy :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I hope it goes well. Enjoy!:okay:

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That looks a great ride. I flipping love the north of Scotland - I'd be tempted to call in at the lovely campsite at Scourie before the equally lovely one at Sango Sands / Durness (assuming you are camping of course!) so I could go on the Handa Island ferry, just because Handa is one of my favourite places to go. Not sure if the ferry is running this time of year though.

Whatever you do, it looks like it will be amazing! Enjoy :smile:
Scourie is great, and so is Sango Sands (except when the wind picks up). I've camped at those sites before. Achmelvich Beach is another great site near Lochinver.

This time I'm being lazy and B&B/hostelling/staying with friends though. If I was camping I'd probably head up and do a loop of the highlands

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
In case you didn't know, but you have the option of crossing the Medway using the M2 bridge. There is a service road running parallel to the motorway. Then you can drop down into Cuxton, then head for Cobham and onto Gravesend. Maybe a more pleasant journey.

Good luck
Keith
Thanks. I planned something like that to start with, and was advised that the current route might be more pleasant. I'll make a decision when I get to the M2 I think :smile:

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I rode the Durness to Dover Route 7 years ago, In Northern Scotland I used a lot of the Bridleways and Landrover tracks as i like to do off road. I used the Gaik pass, from Drumguish on the NCN 7 to Dalnacardoch Lodge on the A9 near to Calvine, which was a tad hairy as I had to wade the river, but it was so nice a view and lonely I think somewhere I have my GPX files. I was in the main wild camping, and B&B.
I've got an alternative route planned between Braemar and Tomintoul which goes via Invercauld House and Loch Builg, but I'm on a tourer with 32mm Marathons so that'll only really happen if it's been dry for a while.

Brains

Legendary Member
Looks good
Be aware that some sections of the Pilgrims Way (day one) are tracks
OK for a wide tyred touring bike (as long as it's dry)
But not for skinny slicks

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Looks good
Be aware that some sections of the Pilgrims Way (day one) are tracks
OK for a wide tyred touring bike (as long as it's dry)
But not for skinny slicks
Cheers. @mmmmartin has also warned me about that bit. I'm on a touring bike so I should hopefully be ok. If not then I'll have to take one of the chevron roads to the top of that bank and shadow the route on road.

Currently I'm trying to solve a last minute problem in that the two most direct railway lines from Tunbridge Wells to the start are on bus replacements when I want to travel on Sunday morning.

Top Bottom