Dunkirk to Brussels or Dieppe to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

This time last year, I was starting to worry that my first ever multi-day tour (Calais to Brussels) in May 2020 might be derailed by COVID-19. Of course, it was.

However, it looks as if the possibility of a summer 2021 trip might be emerging, since the EU are making (non-specific) noises about vaccine passports, and my wife and I will be fully vaccinated by late June. So, I’ve started to think about potentially travelling in early July, along with my wife (who took up cycling during the first lockdown) and wondering about routes.

I’m a big fan of Belgian cities, and had thought of doing a sedate trip from Dunkirk to Brussels, with overnights in Bruges, Ghent, and Antwerp, and Brussels (return via Eurostar). My enthusiasm for Belgian cities doesn’t quite extend to Brussels, a place I often visited for work and leisure but have grown rather jaded about.

An alternative trip would be to take the ferry to Dieppe instead and then head for Paris (a place I love) over the course of a few days. This route looks a bit dull, but it’s hard to tell from the maps and some of the journals I’ve read.

Mrs DWN isn’t bothered either way, but I wondered what anyone who has done both routes thought of them.

Very aware that this may not happen, but it’s good to have something to plan,

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've probably ridden much of your Belgian tour and only seen inner Paris of your French idea but if the Loire en Velo is typical of good French cycleways, I would still pick the Belgian route, including riding a bit of the coast alongside the coast tram, the canal from Bruges to Gent and the fast cycle route (F0 or F1 perhaps) from Antwerp to Brussels.

I'd also suggest trying new stuff to do in Brussels. Maybe visit Tour et Taxis rather than the Atomium, visit the Beaux Arts or one of the odder museums? It's a dense city.

I feel that starting vaccine passports before general availability of the vaccines will be unjust but most nearby governments seem to be centre-right so that'll probably not stop it and I hold no grudge against those who will benefit from it.

I haven't cycled Dieppe to Paris, but for a first tour I'd choose Belgium because each day has an interesting destination. In my world, cycling is only a part of a bike tour.
Excess energy can always be burned off exploring your destination, either on bike or foot.
A successful, enjoyable tour for both of you will most likely lead to another! Paris isn't going anywhere.
Good luck!

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I feel that starting vaccine passports before general availability of the vaccines will be unjust but most nearby governments seem to be centre-right so that'll probably not stop it and I hold no grudge against those who will benefit from it.
As far as I can see, France and Belgium are unhappy about vaccine passports for exactly that issue of it being unjust. However, Cyprus, Greece, Spain, and Portugal are pushing for it so it may be implemented as either a local or eu wide scheme. If the former then my plans fall apart.

• Cool
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom