Dunton Technology centre - 15/3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

Its been a while sisnce I sucessfully finished a race, hence the large gap in between reports.
Today (15/3) race was held on the ford test track, so from my experience of test tracks I was expecting Nurburgring style banked corners, and I wasn't wrong, one of them even being on a hill.
I will point out this was a 2/3/4 cat race so I wasn't expecting anything out of today other than experience.
The race got underway and two riders were off from the start collecting around a 45 second lead for around 2-3 laps till they was pulled in but inbetween that 6 other cat 2 riders went away and stayed away. come the second lap I was dropped off the hill because I lost concentration and was leading the group before the hill, although the group of four that I was in, the other 3 riders took a turn of no more than 7 seconds each and When it was my turn to drop off no one came, so I just slowed the group down till someone passed but by that point I was spent. I was dropped along with another lad who, by looking at him, he was quite bulky but I thought he would have the power to pull both him and myself back to the group on the decent, but after a split second of trailing him I realised he did'nt so I passed and pushed to catch the group who had pulled a 30 second lead on me. It took me a whole half a lap to catch the group through so extremely clever cycling not to over spend myself before the hill again. This time I learnt my lesson and was near the front before the hill but not leading this time. The pace was steady, a little to steady at times and on every lap we could see the cat 2 riders gaining on us as we passed each other on the two way straight.
We get signalled final lap and the pace slightly picks up but not much as we enter the hill which is just after the start/finish line and the cat 2 riders catch us all as we climb the hill, which appeared a little bemused by some of our riders as they tried to move to one side. coming down the other side of the hill the pace picks up again as we roll to around 35mph and the pace is almost held to this pace as we come down and enter the next corner, I'm holding my own around the middle of the pack, looking out for the breaker but nothing happens till we pass the last corner onto the finish. I'm telling myself not to sprint to early, not least until I can catch a wheel to follow to the line. ITS OFF!! everyone going for the sprint, I push hard but still in hte saddle, passing riders, and shouting to the slower riders to move out of my way, I'm getting tired, power is slipping but I'm in 4th and tell myself I can rest in 20 second's but not now, not yet. I hold 4th and cross the line. I don't know if the points are awarded for each cat or just for the whole race, if so I was'nt in the point's I don't think anyone in our group was, but it was good enough.

The track is great, as I said there is a slight hill that slow's the group down as it has to contend with the banked curves too, which also is hard to hold your line on as the banking is trying to push you back towards the the edge of the road. there are about 3 bumps that are easy to contend with, 2 you can't avoid no matter where you are on the road. I would definatly say give it a go.

Dave5N

Über Member
Great report again Walker.

Well done.

(I take it it wasn't raining then?)

ChrisKH

Guru
Nice report. Had I known you were so close to me I would have come and cheered you on. I would have liked to have seen the Dunton test track.

OP
OP
walker

walker

ChrisKH said:
Nice report. Had I known you were so close to me I would have come and cheered you on. I would have liked to have seen the Dunton test track.
why not come along next time and join in?

Aint Skeered

Nice one walker, hope the weather was better than what we had to endure yesterday.
When is the next race at Dunton? and where is it, location wise

OP
OP
walker

walker

Aint Skeered said:
Nice one walker, hope the weather was better than what we had to endure yesterday.
When is the next race at Dunton? and where is it, location wise

It's just outside Basildon, literally right off the A127.
At the end of the race I was talking to the Mrs, and she said the rider that won was a sponsored Semi-Pro and was racing in Belguim the following day, So there was some scope to win as he was only a Semi Pro.

HA HA, yeah right:tongue:

Slight update, the leaderboard was added just now and I found out I finished 9th, the highest placed cat 4 on the track.

Top Bottom