Duplicating files - win7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

Never heard of anything that can do that ... Good Luck

hmmm I think there are 3rd prograsm that can do this (see here).

If it is an Office Program, you can trigger a macro on close that would copy the file, or save in 2 locations.

Failing that, you can setup a scheduled tsk to run a batch/powershell script, say, every hour that would copy the file if newer.

Lanzecki

Über Member
Look at dropbox. it create an extra drive on you PC. That drive is synced to the cloud. You can work on the local file. When you save it the changes get uploaded.

Any PC that is connected to dropbox using the same account can see the same data once it's saved.

The other services probably do the same, but I havn't tried them.

[QUOTE 2312604, member: 9609"]I need a file to always exist in two different folders, basically, every time the file in 'folderA' is changed, an exact copy will be created in 'folderB'
Can anyone think a way of automating this?

Currently I use an automatic sub in excel, but this means that unless I open a certain file in excel the operation does not take place.[/quote]

try (open notepad)

copy /y "d:\users\gemima\documents\won again.jpg" d:\users\gemima\documents\copy

replace file & folder names as needed.
quotes are in on the first location to accommodate the space in the filename I randomly picked. edit as needed and if folders have a name with quotes for destination, then include quotes there as well.

the /y will automatically overwrite the existing file... if you want to confirm each and everytime, use /-y instead.

now save this as backup.bat either on your desktop or a shortcut to somewhere useful on your desktop...
run it as and when you need to and it will copy the contents from one location to the other the caveat being that the excel file must not be open at the time. lot quicker than locating the file and copying to said folder.

Also what version of Windows 7 are you on... I ask because with the pro version you could also have the previous versions option setup to allow restores of that file to various points in time.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
[QUOTE 2313802, member: 9609"]err - that is what I am already doing, but was looking for an alternative approach[/quote]
Sorry, I think I misread a little and wasn't sure you wanted it to sync in both directions, but as SatNav and I suggested scheduling a copy could work well, depending on how 'live' you need the 2nd file to be.

I think the Sourceforge program "Fullsync" can monitor 2 files and update them both to the newest version or always update A>B if there's been a change, not sure how well it works anymore. http://sourceforge.net/projects/fullsync/

I think under Linux you could have some kind of shortcut link in location B, rather than an actual duplicate file, but I don't know if there's a way of doing that in Windows that wouldn't just upload the shortcut file instead of the actual file to your cloud storage. Hmm....

I think under Linux you could have some kind of shortcut link in location B, rather than an actual duplicate file, but I don't know if there's a way of doing that in Windows that wouldn't just upload the shortcut file instead of the actual file to your cloud storage. Hmm....
I had the impression the OP wanted a second copy somewhere rather than a shortcut to orginal file in another location which is a doddle to do...

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I had the impression the OP wanted a second copy somewhere rather than a shortcut to orginal file in another location which is a doddle to do...
I think I'm really struggling to communicate today, so go easy ;)

I don't think he wanted a duplicate or backup specifically, just that in addition to his save location he wanted it to exist simultaneously in a folder which gets copied to cloud storage.

As you say a shortcut under Windows would just be a shortcut file, which launches the original, if you tried to copy/move it, it would copy/move the shortcut file not the actual file. Under Linux (from memory) you could create a "symbolic link" that could point to another file/folder, similar to a shortcut but would be treated exactly like the real file/folder by the OS so you could open the link, save to the link, if you copied it, it would copy the actual file data not the link, if you ftp'ed it somewhere it would copy the file not the shortcut.

I think this is what I'm gibbering about and there appears to be a Windows equivalent since Vista/7... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link#Windows_7_.26_Vista_symbolic_link which leads to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194(v=ws.10).aspx

You would in theory put a sym link in the cloud folder and when it goes to copy the file it would pull it directly from the actual save file, removing any need for duplicating manually or maintaining two copies of one file.

Kies

Under linux you could by changing file flags. Most OS will not allow a file to be open in two locations. Windows certainly will NOT!

You will have to look at 3rd party widgets me thinks

Top Bottom