Dura Ace owners, can you help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
Sold some Dura Ace shifters which were brand new. Didn't touch them, just sold them on.

Now the guy who bought them said:

I was just wondering about the right shifter and if you had tested it? It doesn't click as much as the left, or as much as I would have expected. Granted it does click slightly more with cable under tension attached, but it still feels as if there is something grinding within the mechanism.

Do any D.A owners know if this is normal? I bought them off of a guy who works at a well known cycle store, and he said in response:

I'm not sure what is ment by "click as much" sorry. It may not be loud but I did check both shifters before sending them out to you. they are brand new with no faults what so ever, they felt smooth to me.

Dura-Ace is the highest spec shimano group set, it's just a smoother shift so they may explain it.

The left shifter also has trim so it has a couple extra clicks between gears.

Just hoping that this is normal, as I would have to refund, get the shifters back, file a dispute on Paypal, then send the shifters back to the original owner :wacko:

Cheers.

festival

Über Member
But does it give a positive gear change when ridden?
Has he actually fitted and adjusted them?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They won't click the same amount because they are operating two different mech's with different cable pulls. Further, if something feels grindy or draggy then that could be due to the cable routing.

billy1561

BB wrecker
My left one is harder to use than the right but i don't know if thats becasue it operates different size from front to rear... not much help that sorry. LBS informed me that i perhaps should swop out the cables. Inners and outers. Hope you get it resolved mate.

Mallory

The right shifter on mine is far easier to change gear than the left shifter. You do get a slight clicking sound when changing up a gear. Dura Ace doesn't have the positive gear change that Campag/SRAM owners would be used to

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
UPDATE: They’re fine, his LBS checked them out and all is good. Thanks everyone for the tips.

e-rider

crappy member
of course the left and right are different - they operate different mechs and therefore have different jobs. Cables need to be under operating tension (i.e. fitted) to make them work properly.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
of course the left and right are different - they operate different mechs and therefore have different jobs. Cables need to be under operating tension (i.e. fitted) to make them work properly.

Yeah, he just is a novice to bike mechanics like I am. Guess he wanted to make sure they were fine.
Means I can put £150 towards my new bike now so I'm happy ^_^

Top Bottom