DuraAce Durability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
02GF74 said:
Dura Ace and XTR are not purchesed by mere mortals but are bought for riders who are sponsored. So money is not an issue hence durabliitly is not important as components get replaced regulalrly.

Sitck to ultegra and XT - never had a problkem with either.

My XT rear shifter has been on for 14 years and altough badly worn, the spring seems to have lost enough tension to no longer give instant shifts - not bad for the miles done.

Dave5N said:

walker said:
thats what I thought

Twenty Inch said:
And what are your reasons? Others who have responded have given good reasons for their arguments.

Well, because I am a mere mortal, I am not sponsored, I have some DA kit.

Ipso facto, the original assertion is wrong.

Blue

Legendary Member
Issue 204 of Cycling+ reviewed the Ribble Nero Corsa. A carbon f&f with DA components for £1325. They gave it 9/10.

Hardly a price beyond mere mortals.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the fact that any of us can have the top spec stuff (budget permitting) does not mean that it's suitable for someone hoping to get thousands of miles out of it. my analogy of colin mcrea's rally car is not entirely facetious, yes it will have the best components going, and yes you can take it to work and go for a weekend spin. but it will need servicing more often than even a ferrari. the pros will have a new groupset after one or two races, and even the pro teams don't chuck perfectly good kit away for no reason. that reason is that the lightness of the carbon/titanium comes at the expense of durability, and no team wants a component failure at a critical moment.

nothing wrong with getting the top stuff if your expectations are realistic, and it does look very nice. don't do a commute on it though.

walker

Twenty Inch said:
And what are your reasons? Others who have responded have given good reasons for their arguments.

top end components arn't used by people who are sponsored, they are available to everyone

mine last me well enough. I replace the entire drive every spring.

Surely it's about what you want? I'd rather have a light, smooth system and pay a bit extra for it, than a heavier, clunkier system.

stevenb

I'll be monitoring the DA kit I have on my new bike.
So far so good....apart from the shop didn't index the gears too well....so I'm fettling with that now. :tongue:

simonali

Guru
stevenb said:
I'll be monitoring the DA kit I have on my new bike.
So far so good....apart from the shop didn't index the gears too well....so I'm fettling with that now. :wacko:

The problem is that they set it up on a workstand, just using their hand to pedal, so the drivetrain isn't under the pressures of one on a bike being ridden.

Top Bottom