Durability of Waterproof Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
As I'm sure we're all aware, the waterproof ability of said gloves is achieved using a membrane; usually Goretex or similar.
Now, said membrane is about as thick as clingfilm or a fag paper, as you prefer and from experience and the view of 'those who know' in various bike and outdoor shops is that the membrane will eventually fail in direct proportion to the use of the glove.
This explains why two pairs of Sealskinz waterproof gloves failed on me within about seven or eight months of using them whilst commuting. :angry:
So if you use such gloves a fair bit, you could end up having to replace them every year or so at between £30 - £60 a time, depending on the brand / quality and end up with a box full of perfectly serviceable gloves that aren't waterproof anymore. :dry:
So why have the makers not come up with better solution apart from them wanting us to keep buying their failing products - ? :whistle:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
They have, its called neoprene.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought a pair of quite expensive SealSkinz about 12 years ago. The guy in the bike shop gave me some old sales hooie about how they were used by the SAS etc. The internal membrane, which turned out to be thinner than a condom, ruptured after a couple of months. Complete waste of money.

Now I just wear a pair of Mountain Warehouse budget ski gloves in winter.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I bought a pair of quite expensive SealSkinz about 12 years ago. The guy in the bike shop gave me some old sales hooie about how they were used by the SAS etc. The internal membrane, which turned out to be thinner than a condom, ruptured after a couple of months. Complete waste of money.

Now I just wear a pair of Mountain Warehouse budget ski gloves in winter.

Mine lasted 6 or 7 years before becoming sieves, they didn't breath too well so got soggy when new too.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have two pairs of sealskinz, both have lasted well.

I'm a big fan of wetsuit gloves. Inexpensive, available in different thicknesses (they're warm, so I wear the thinnest the weather will allow), windproof, and while will let your hands get wet in a real heavy downpour your hands won't get cold.

sheddy

Legendary Member
If you want inexpensive waterproof gloves visit a builder’s merchant.
Won’t be particularly warm though.

I have two pairs of sealskinz, both have lasted well.

I'm a big fan of wetsuit gloves. Inexpensive, available in different thicknesses (they're warm, so I wear the thinnest the weather will allow), windproof, and while will let your hands get wet in a real heavy downpour your hands won't get cold.

Can you recommend some? I tried looking a few years ago, but I couldn't decode the jargon, and they were all about a billion pounds.
I've been using neoprene (fingerless) weight-lifting gloves instead; although they don't last forever, and if it's cold I have to add layers on top, they're quite comfy for something costing around a tenner!

I've also used semi-neoprene fishing gloves. They usually have a flap on the thumb+1st finger (for tying flies etc, I guess), so are quite convenient. Good in colder rain, very cheap, and very durable.

Drago

Legendary Member
I just get em off of ebay. Different thicknesses. Dirt cheap.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One time there was an unexpectedly cold rainstorm I pulled into a petrol station and helped myself to some of those free plastic gloves they have for pumping fuel.

Definitely waterproof. Surprisingly warm. Not very robust.

Top Bottom