DVD to MP4/MKV Format

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

We have many DVD's that we have bought but no longer have a DVD player other than what's in the PC/Mac, can I legally copy them into another format & store them on a NAS so they can be watched via Kodi on various devices, we will retain the originals, it's mainly cartoons for the grandkids.

Tim Hall

The usual answer is Handbrake. I've used ut for exactly that purpose.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Yep, that's what I've done. I use Kodi on a Raspberry pi to stream my films from the NAS to the TV.

Like Tim above, a friend of mine uses handbrake quite successfully for that, but I've never had much success myself using handbrake.

I use makeMKV on my MacBook or PC to convert the DVD to MKV's and store them on the NAS like that. It does use up more memory not converting them to MP4, but I have plenty of storage so I'm not too bothered.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Just googled dvd > mp4 & it came up with Handbrake, installed it on lubuntu, just trying to make head & tail of it, but not sure I get it, yet

Just googled dvd > mp4 & it came up with Handbrake, installed it on lubuntu, just trying to make head & tail of it, but not sure I get it, yet
You might need ffmpeg and stuff

Try installing Ubuntu restricted extras as well if you hit problems:
sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
From a command line (ALT+CTRL+T to get one of those)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Couldn't get the DVD's to open or play even with VLC, think it was due to having menu's but installed libdvd-pkg & now it appears to be working, which means, it'l be Singing in the Rain, followed by Oklahoma I suspect tonight, Thanks for all the input,

Top Bottom