Dynamic stretching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I went to the physio today, who recommended dynamic stretching before exercise, not static stretching. TBH, I thought static stretching was a waste of time anyway. I tend to think dynamic stretching is a waste of time too, at least the way we do it at the club. What surprised me more was that a few years ago when I started going to my running club, one of the coaches said that dynamic stretching was no longer recommended. However, when I think about the warm up exercises we actually do at the club, they do seem rather like the dynamic stretches that the physio was advising me to do. We usually do static stretching at the end of the session.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Many years ago when I very 'into' Shotokan Karate most of the warm ups involved static stretching. My flexibility increased greatly by doing dynamic stretches (I got a book written by some ex GDR gymnast), so much so I was able to get into a full box split position after a few months. It worked for me but
a) it was 15+ years ago, I don't know what the current thinking is
and
b) I was in my 20's

ayceejay

Guru
Cycling is a very muscle/limb specific and the movement limited so any warm up should take this into account, to ride your bike while warming up is probably as good if not better than stretching.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Cycling is a very muscle/limb specific and the movement limited so any warm up should take this into account, to ride your bike while warming up is probably as good if not better than stretching.
Yes, if you are stretching to warm up, but if you are stretching to correct an problem/imbalance in, say, hamstrings, then cycling in itself isn't going to do anything to elongate that muscle.

ayceejay

Guru
I have no argument with that jazzcat but you are talking about remedial therapy which is slightly different especially as stretching a cold hamstring could possibly do more harm than good, some people would go as far as to say: to use a bike ride to warm up for the static stretching.
Note that I have used cautious wording because this is not something that is carved into stone tablets and varies greatly from person to person.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I have no argument with that jazzcat but you are talking about remedial therapy which is slightly different especially as stretching a cold hamstring could possibly do more harm than good, some people would go as far as to say: to use a bike ride to warm up for the static stretching.
Note that I have used cautious wording because this is not something that is carved into stone tablets and varies greatly from person to person.
Absolutely and I don't disagree, it just sounded like yellow fang had an issue that had taken him to the physio, which to me would seem like the stretching was to alleviate some underlying 'problem'.
I must admit I found dynamic stretching (I was doing leg raises) was a good warm up as long as I started gently and gradually got higher. Cycling being a low impact/cardio type exercise is indeed a good gentle form of exercise if undertaken in such a way.

ayceejay

Guru
I went back and read the OP again and we are in agreement - I guess I was put off by the "latest thinking" meme.
I can remember 'shacking' and 'jogging' as warm up as it was professed at Loughborough so I am aware of how fashion changes.

Top Bottom