Dyno Hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tombo 707

I am looking for some possitive feedback as I am looking at investing in dyno hub for my new Sabbath September. The winters are long and dark here in Shetland and I was thinking at the idea of using a dyno hub.

Wobbly John

Veteran
I've been using a cheap & cheerful dynohub for a couple of years - like the Novatech ones that are on ebay for about £20. The drag is only just noticable, although I did the last club time trial of the season with it on and caught my minute and 2 minute men! ;)

I've used it to power LED front lights that are shown on my webpage . The batteries in LED rear lights last ages so Im haven't bothered connecting it to the dymano.

Randochap

Senior hunter
I highly recommend a dynohub for lighting. No more phaffing w/ batteries.

If you can afford one, I'd say go for the SON by Schmidt. It's simply the best money can buy.

Second in line would be the Shimano, then SRAM i-light.

Check out the set ups I have on my brevet bikes, via link below.

GrahamG

Guru
It's one of those 'never looked back' purchases for most people who regularly cycle in the dark. Given your latitude, I'm surprised you've not already got one. I have a Schmidt and whilst it's a big investment, it's been in constant use for at least 6 months of the year for the last 3 years and encourages me to go out more at night.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Tombo 707 said:
I am looking for some possitive feedback as I am looking at investing in dyno hub for my new Sabbath September. The winters are long and dark here in Shetland and I was thinking at the idea of using a dyno hub.
I use a Schmidt hub and BM IQ fly on my winter fixed, a hub dynamo doesn't slip in the wet, is realiable, plus you can fit and forget with no need to worry about charging batteries or being concerned that there will just be a little yellow glow before I get home as can be the case with standard battery lamps.

In reality although I use a Schmidt hub, Shimano have closed the gap, their later models have less lights off drag and very slightly higher lights on.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Jonathan M

Another vote in favour of your decision.

I use a Shimano dynohub, think its a Nexave or somesuch, about 3 years old. Heavy, drag not noticeable when riding. It has a 2.4w output and I use a Basta Pilot LED light with standlight. All in all was about £100 for the wheel (M:Parts used to do this on a Mavic A319 rim) and the light. Mine is on my do everything winter type bike, so I just leave it on between October & March, they are that fit & forget.

Alves

I have a Shimano Ultegra hub (the latest models are much better apparently) built up by St John St and I can recommend them and this hub. B&M IQ fly LED lights are also reliable but the LED market is constantly changing so it's hard to keep up with the latest and greatest.
I like the simplicity of this set up and so far (2 winters) it's been very reliable

Top Bottom