Dysfunctional brakes, Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a B Twin Triban 3. The breaks looks fine when it is tested before the ride. But when riding it is different story. It usually breaks few minutes after I have applied breaks and sometimes it feel like ages when the bike finally stops.
I have changed break pads but it is still the same.
What do I need to change to get a better breaks?
I can not afford to change the entire group set.
Will the change in calliper set and cables make any difference?

vickster

Legendary Member
Brakes?

vickster

Legendary Member
What calipers and pads are you using? Do you keep the rims clean?

You might benefit from a caliper and pad change, try better pads first

vickster

Legendary Member
105 calipers are well regarded, often available used on eBay (confirm they are right for the frame first though)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Are the brakes set up right ?
You only need a few mm either side of the rim assuming your wheels are true, if you have to much of a gap your not getting enough clamping force on the rim .

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Check your cables before you attack the calipers, it sounds like something is catching or the cable is kinked or the outer is fouled/corroded and needs some TLC & oil squirting down the outer.

Are the springs aligned right in the caliper set up?

The calipers should be plenty good enough for thw bike unless you are super picky or riding to a level that a triban is not really the right tool for the job.

OP
OP
midliferider
I set up the callipers, springs are aligned and there is only 1-2 mm gap. Rim is clean. The wheels look fine, I think it is true.

When I apply the brake and test it, it looks fine. I followed the procedure. When I apply the front brake and try to move the bike etc.
But when riding it is a different story.
Now I feel that it is not responsive, or takes time to respond because cables are sticky.

Are you using the stock shimano 2300 shifters? I used to have them and had similar experience, there was no power in them, felt like spongy or if they could be compressed before the cable would tug.

Do you have a thumb shifter and use the brake to upshift or do you have one lever for up, one for down and a brake lever, the later been microshift.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Are the cables worn? What about the cable housing - is it in good condition? Are there ferals on the ends of the cable housing? Are the cables routed in such a way that there are no sharp angles? Is there anythying pulling on the cables or pinching them in some way? One of my neighbours complained about her brakes incessantly - when she did what I told her to do and stopped hanging things from the cables they worked fine!
The brake system is a whole: the pads, callipers, blocks, housing - even those little ferals that are so easy to forget - are all part of that system and must be clean, in good condition, and able to work freely.

Top Bottom