e bike commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
any one doing a longish commute by e bike?
if so how's it working out?
I'm thinking of dropping the train bit,and using an e bike for the whole trip.
It's impractical to use the brompton due to many hills.
hence I'm considering an alternative.
I'm talking 40 odd miles round journey.

CXRAndy

Guru
It will make the effort much more comfortable, without over stressing yourself. :okay:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Before the pandemic my round trio commute was 30miles……the 15mile ride home also included 1500ft of climbing…..when i got the ebike i was in heaven, made a 1 or 2 day commute, into 4 days at least

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
Before the pandemic my round trio commute was 30miles……the 15mile ride home also included 1500ft of climbing…..when i got the ebike i was in heaven, made a 1 or 2 day commute, into 4 days at least
Good to hear. How did the bike stand up to a regular workout? I'm a little concerned about the reliability of a well used ebike.
anyone done any long term commuting on one?
my route would include country lanes and city riding. in all weather conditions.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Good to hear. How did the bike stand up to a regular workout? I'm a little concerned about the reliability of a well used ebike.
anyone done any long term commuting on one?
my route would include country lanes and city riding. in all weather conditions.
I did around 2000 miles in the first year of using it with no issues at all. I did change the fork to a MTB carbon one and added 2” slicks……..the motor was the bosch active plus, so 50nm of torque and it was a hardtail. Only cost me £1800, Cube Acid 500, i like it that much i bought a second one for weekend rides, exact same bike but with the 400wh battery, so now i got 2 bikes, using the same motor and battery, can then go on longer rides, with a spare battery in the rack bag if needed.

12 miles each way, 4 to 5 days a week.

usually keep it on the lower settings but if I have had a really hard physical day,I can let the bike do more of the work.

biking_fox

Guru
As long as you're organised enough to charge your battery every night that should be ok, but as the battery ages (2-5 years?) you may find yourself needing to buy a replacement. If you run out of charge the bike is heavy to get up any remaining hills.

gzoom

Über Member
I've done about 3000 mile commuting on the eBike in the last 18 months. I've gone through x2 rear wheels, x3 inner tubes thanks to our lovely pot holed roads. The eBike motor initially needed replacing early on but has been fine since. I've now managed to source a 2nd battery and charger which I keep at work which makes any worries about range disappear.

I really enjoy it, sadly work pressures means time is become an increasingly important. With work meeting starting at 830am most days of the week, just driving in is quicker so only now doing 1-2 days commute on the bike :sad:.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've done about 3000 mile commuting on the eBike in the last 18 months. I've gone through x2 rear wheels, x3 inner tubes thanks to our lovely pot holed roads. The eBike motor initially needed replacing early on but has been fine since. I've now managed to source a 2nd battery and charger which I keep at work which makes any worries about range disappear.

I really enjoy it, sadly work pressures means time is become an increasingly important. With work meeting starting at 830am most days of the week, just driving in is quicker so only now doing 1-2 days commute on the bike :sad:.

You are not meant to ride through pot holes!

cheys03

Veteran
I think everyone has their own individual comfort level and acceptable balance.
I’ve had a 16.5mi 1000ft each way cycling commute, 4 days a week, 2 weeks in 3 - so about 50% in the 4 years before Covid. I’d either work from home or drive the other days.
I started at about 17stone using a eBike for 6 months, each way took a bit over an hour. After 6 months and considerably lighter I switched to a normal bike and added 5 mins to the journey in, and about 10 mins to the journey home - am more tired on the way back, particularly towards the end of the week.

On reflection and overall, it is just as comfortable for me (/uncomfortable!) doing the journey with either bike. Both have their pros and cons. I’d prefer a journey time of about 40mins a each way, as that’s what I’ve now found to be my preferred comfortable limit.
I like the predictable journey times with the eBike and knowing I have help with headwinds and if tired. I dislike the added weight, marginal phaff and added complexity.
I like the greater fitness improvement felt with a standard bike, simplicity, reduced weight and better handling. I dislike journey times increasing as I tire or in a headwind.

Back to knowing your own comfort level and priorities… will you be comfortable with a ~1.5hr each way cycling commute, ebike or otherwise? How often will it be?
The temptation might be to get an eBrompton for ultimate flexibility, but with compromises. I’m a Brompton fan but the full commute on a B wouldn’t be for me every day.
You might only find out by trying it, but establishing your comfort level is key.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think everyone has their own individual comfort level and acceptable balance.
I’ve had a 16.5mi 1000ft each way cycling commute, 4 days a week, 2 weeks in 3 - so about 50% in the 4 years before Covid. I’d either work from home or drive the other days.
I started at about 17stone using a eBike for 6 months, each way took a bit over an hour. After 6 months and considerably lighter I switched to a normal bike and added 5 mins to the journey in, and about 10 mins to the journey home - am more tired on the way back, particularly towards the end of the week.

On reflection and overall, it is just as comfortable for me (/uncomfortable!) doing the journey with either bike. Both have their pros and cons. I’d prefer a journey time of about 40mins a each way, as that’s what I’ve now found to be my preferred comfortable limit.
I like the predictable journey times with the eBike and knowing I have help with headwinds and if tired. I dislike the added weight, marginal phaff and added complexity.
I like the greater fitness improvement felt with a standard bike, simplicity, reduced weight and better handling. I dislike journey times increasing as I tire or in a headwind.

Back to knowing your own comfort level and priorities… will you be comfortable with a ~1.5hr each way cycling commute, ebike or otherwise? How often will it be?
The temptation might be to get an eBrompton for ultimate flexibility, but with compromises. I’m a Brompton fan but the full commute on a B wouldn’t be for me every day.
You might only find out by trying it, but establishing your comfort level is key.
mines 10 mile each way 5 days a week . adding in shift work so early starts or late finishes its more than enough .Takes me around 35 plus/minus mins depends on how im feeling, weather etc some days if im tired . crap weather etc i have once averaged just over 12 mph , other days i can be over 18 .
Its if you can commit to your distance and a lifestyle that revolves around it, i have no choice as mrs ck needs the car and there is no public transport to anywhere near where i work .

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
I've been doing 7 miles each way, 3 or 4 days a week since about April I think. I'm on a Trek Powerfly Sport 4 Equipped which is a Bosch mid motor powered mountain bike which feels like a tank compared with my road bikes. Lights that run from the main battery are nice, as are the built-in mudguards and rack.
I run it in E-Mtb mode which is 1 level down from max assist and get 3 days commute (just over 42 miles) on 1 charge of the 500Wh battery on a route with about 400 feet of climbing in each direction. Usually it's saying I have about 10 miles range left when I charge it.

I used to occasionally commute on a Planet x London road, road bike before getting the e bike, but found it much harder to motivate myself to not take the car! I think my fitness has actually improved, mostly cos I generally try and ride at the same speed as I would be on the flat on a road bike, but this is faster than the assist allows and it cuts out, so it just becomes a very heavy bike, its like resistance training! It's also a big help with the headwind I inevitably face each day and one pig of a hill that puts me off on the non e bikes (even though I can get up it no problem, I just dread it for some stupid reason! )

I also invested in a massive almax chain which I keep at work to secure it from the local scum.

I generally average about 16mph and it takes me around 26mins to do the 7.1 miles on the way in.

Top Bottom