E bike faults Carrera Crossfire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The current model is now HESC+, very solid.

The problem with a lot of the Carrera faults was the mixing and matching of other brand electronic components with Suntour. It just never worked right. The Vulcan and the Crosfire were thus afflicted.

The bikes with top to toe HESC, and now HESC+, are very robust. Subway E, Vengeance, are well sorted machines.

My old man is looking at the Subway e - looks fine to me, any issues ? He's been thinking about it for a few years. He manages fine down at our caravans in North Wales, but when the wind turns he finds it hard. He manages fine TBH (75 years old) and is no slower than my sister, but fancies the 'bail out' option. He'd ride under his own steam, then in a head wind switch on the assist. For dry weather use the subway looks great (he won't be out in rain). He can do 12 miles plus, but the killer headwinds are a bit of a bugger - they are for us fit folk. The bike won't get hammered. I refurbed my brother's old Emmelle MTB from 25 years ago, and it's still fine for him, if too big.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sorry @fossyant I somehow missed this.

No realy issues. It's the most reliable, most sensibly specced of the Carrera ebike range. The online reviews have been universally very positive.

gbb

Legendary Member
I remember reading or seeing a video perhaps where someone potentially made a fix but heavy duty taping the battery to its holder. The theory was as it hit a bump (a common cause in my case) the battery would momentarily lose connection at the pins, poor design perhaps. Taping the battery would help prevent this.
12 mile ride for me today, no cut outs anyway. I must get some tape and try it.

bazinblack

I am having problems with my Carrera vengeance only getting 18 to 20 miles on a full charge. I'm not overweight and cycle on relatively flat road whilst in eco mode

gbb

Legendary Member
I remember reading or seeing a video perhaps where someone potentially made a fix but heavy duty taping the battery to its holder. The theory was as it hit a bump (a common cause in my case) the battery would momentarily lose connection at the pins, poor design perhaps. Taping the battery would help prevent this.
12 mile ride for me today, no cut outs anyway. I must get some tape and try it.
Bearing in mind mine is the older, larger battery (417ahr perhaps) ...i strapped my battery securely to the holder.....i havnt had one single cutout since .
Silver gaffer tape, two short pieces, job done.

I had one of the first cross fires, had the same problems.

Halfords had no idea(2018) and ended up getting a whole new bike under warranty, and ended up selling it secondhand.

got the subway e before my current Raleigh motus, the subway was fault free untilI sold it and from whatI hear, still is.

Drago

Legendary Member
4400 miles in on my Subway E and its been brill. Im always very mindful of the torque sensor, which is a bit fragile and in a vulnerable spot, but otherwise it gets ridden hard.

4400 miles in on my Subway E and its been brill. Im always very mindful of the torque sensor, which is a bit fragile and in a vulnerable spot, but otherwise it gets ridden hard.

I never looked to be honest! Out of interest, where is it?!

Drago

Legendary Member
Underneath the bottom bracket, rear of the chainset. Youd have to try moderately hard, but people do manage to twack them somehow and theyre not terribly robust. Im sure you wouldn't anyway, but avoid dragging them over doorsteps or up high kerbs.

Top Bottom