E-bikes and butterfly bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plustwos

First two-wheeler in 1942 and never without since, but had to give up four years ago. I have just bought a BatriBike Alpha to help on the ups but the flat bars are dreadful, with no option of changing position. Graduated from drops to butterflies twenty years ago due to neck problem and am considering fitting butterfly bars to the new bike. Has anyone here used butterflies on an e-bike and where is there a supplier in UK please? The shop where I bought my last pair denies all knowledge of them!
TIA, Ken

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Hi. Spa are doing a set of BBB trekking bars for only 20 quid, they're possibly an option for you?

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m9b0s90p2956/BBB-BHB-30-Trekking-Bars

By the looks of it, SJS cycles also offer the same bar at the same price.

It shouldn't matter if it's an e-bike or a regular one, bars are bars, (unless you have some freaky clamp / headset setup).

OP
OP
plustwos

plustwos

Thank you Mr. Traveller, have ordered the Spa bars and some decent cork tape. Can't wait to get back in control. SJS have an impressive range but from Cumbria Harrogate is just next door, SJS needs a Passport I believe.

Ken

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
not impressed with you bike shop if they don;t even bother checking it out

Yep, looks like another poor effort from a local bike shop.

It might only be a twenty or thirty quid item, but the OP is clearly a genuine inquirer so the shop ought to be prepared to do at least a tiny bit of work to make a sale.
Hi. Spa are doing a set of BBB trekking bars for only 20 quid, they're possibly an option for you?

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m9b0s90p2956/BBB-BHB-30-Trekking-Bars

By the looks of it, SJS cycles also offer the same bar at the same price.

It shouldn't matter if it's an e-bike or a regular one, bars are bars, (unless you have some freaky clamp / headset setup).

Handlebar real estate comes into it, but it looks like the Batribike has a small rectangular display, which is the only 'extra' item Ken will have to find a home for.

Electric cable length is another factor.

I reckon the display will fit on the lower loop of the butterflies without the need to extend the cable.

https://batribike.com/see-the-bikes/alpha

PS can't get on with them. Had a bog standard one on an power assisted bike and top of the range one on a travel master couldn't hack either of them. Pity didn't like spending money to replace them

OP
OP
plustwos

plustwos

Handlebar real estate comes into it, but it looks like the Batribike has a small rectangular display, which is the only 'extra' item Ken will have to find a home for.

Electric cable length is another factor.

I reckon the display will fit on the lower loop of the butterflies without the need to extend the cable.

Well it has proved a bit of a slog. I prefer the "wings" to slope up towards me but without a longer stem extension the cables were almost bent at right angles to clear the head tube. Having them slope away from me gave much more room. But having the control in the preferred position left me too little room for a comfortable hand grip. Then I realised that having the control back to front beyond the brake/shifter complex it could grip the end of the bar and the throttle would overhang. Works perfectly. Now I need to get a piece of alloy rod to turn down to fit into the bar end and extend it by an inch to give full support to the throttle. And tape up the bars and tidy the electrics. Looks like something I can really put the miles in now.
Ken

Attachments

• cutP1010043.JPG
    cutP1010043.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom