e - bikes what is the crac?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am seriously considering getting one for commuting as riding the scooter in traffic is extremely stressful. Not sure why I find it stressful as I used to do it for all the time. Note when I say seriously this is at least a year away but the new Spesh looked very nice.

Its not for the summer and doing a round trip of 34 miles is too tiring on my legs all week, so I was thinking of using the ebike on alternative days.

Thoughts, opinions from those using one?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You may need to top up the battery at work, depends on the capacity of the battery and how much assist you use.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The battery on the Spesh has a capacity of 468 watt hours.

How long that will last is dependent on hills, headwinds and how much effort you are prepared to put in to assist it.

But on any view, 34 miles will be tight, particularly after a year or two because the capacity of all batteries drops gradually with age.

The Spesh looks to be a decent bike, as it should be for around £3,500.

For commuting, something like a Kalkhoff would be a better prospect.

It's already set up with mudguards, carrier and lights, is a decent quality bike and quite a lot cheaper.

The battery is 612 watt hours, that extra capacity will mean you shouldn't have to worry about completing the round trip.

Bear in mind the motor on all UK legal ebikes cuts out at 15.5mph, after that you are on your own pedalling a 20kg+ bike.

Your 14 mile commute, assuming you ride to the Highway Code and stop at traffic lights, etc, is likely to take well over an hour on any legal ebike.

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/m9b3s147p11947/SPECIALIZED-Turbo-X-2015/RS_GB/45130

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/performance/pro_connect_impulse_10.html

contadino

Veteran
I put a cyclotricity kit on the wife's bike. Phenomenal. It really is like 'the hand of God' helping you along in pedal assist mode. Even on the lowest setting I didn't break sweat on the 8km ride into town. The bottle battery would get you each way of your journey (17 miles) if you used the motor a lot, so you'd have to recharge whilst at work. It would probably get you there and back but I've always thought that draining batteries fully is bad.

It's not something I'd want to do much of the time, but alternate days might work for you.

Cheap, reliable, and I can't say enough good stuff about the after sales support. They've bent over backwards to help.

contadino

Veteran
My only advice would be to check and double check the space on the frame for the controller and the battery before deciding. I had to fettle like my life depended on it...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I put a cyclotricity kit on the wife's bike. Phenomenal. It really is like 'the hand of God' helping you along in pedal assist mode. Even on the lowest setting I didn't break sweat on the 8km ride into town. The bottle battery would get you each way of your journey (17 miles) if you used the motor a lot, so you'd have to recharge whilst at work. It would probably get you there and back but I've always thought that draining batteries fully is bad.

It's not something I'd want to do much of the time, but alternate days might work for you.

Cheap, reliable, and I can't say enough good stuff about the after sales support. They've bent over backwards to help.
Both Maz's Dawes and my Trike have Cyclotricity kits on them, great kits. :becool: although likewise a fair bit of fettling has been required.

Top Bottom