E-Brompton challenger from Flit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's the new Flit folding e bike.

gPGJ8JAzDJxFDjFg4yrfri-1024-80.jpg

Comes with integrated lights and its a grand cheaper than the Brompton. Battery is in the frame so no extra piece to carry.
https://www.t3.com/news/flit-16-folding-electric-bike-review
What do we think?

shingwell

Designed by Picasso?

slowridr

I've just joined this forum because I was curious about other people's opinions on this.

I test rode the prototype yesterday in Bristol and really liked it. Honestly, it rides as well as a non-electric Brompton, folds almost as small, considering it's a prototype that's been hawked around most of the country for months it seems to be durable, I rattled it over some cobbles and it felt tight, the people even seem nice (I've no connection). The slide-in battery is a far better solution than Brompton's bag and obviously during the Kickstarter it's far cheaper.

You can't fit a hub gear like a Brompton because the motor is there obviously, but the motor takes care of starting and hills and the single gear is chosen so you can easily cruise at 25kph even with the motor off. I do wonder if range might be a bit of an issue - I'm a bigger rider so any time it's heaving me away from standstill or up a hill I'm going to be draining juice faster than someone lighter, and 30 miles or so isn't a lot (by my standards).

But then if I'm using it to pop to the shops and into town instead of the car... can't quite decide whether I want one or not.

pedalin

I've just joined this forum because I was curious about other people's opinions on this.

I test rode the prototype yesterday in Bristol and really liked it. Honestly, it rides as well as a non-electric Brompton, folds almost as small, considering it's a prototype that's been hawked around most of the country for months it seems to be durable, I rattled it over some cobbles and it felt tight, the people even seem nice (I've no connection). The slide-in battery is a far better solution than Brompton's bag and obviously during the Kickstarter it's far cheaper.

You can't fit a hub gear like a Brompton because the motor is there obviously, but the motor takes care of starting and hills and the single gear is chosen so you can easily cruise at 25kph even with the motor off. I do wonder if range might be a bit of an issue - I'm a bigger rider so any time it's heaving me away from standstill or up a hill I'm going to be draining juice faster than someone lighter, and 30 miles or so isn't a lot (by my standards).

But then if I'm using it to pop to the shops and into town instead of the car... can't quite decide whether I want one or not.

Did you go ahead with the Kickstarter backing in the end, Slowridr? I didn't get a chance to test the Flit-16 myself but decided to take a chance on it. It does look very well put together and as you say the team behind it seem like a great bunch.

slowridr

Did you go ahead with the Kickstarter backing in the end, Slowridr? I didn't get a chance to test the Flit-16 myself but decided to take a chance on it. It does look very well put together and as you say the team behind it seem like a great bunch.
Yes, decided I'd give it a go - initially at the £1500 level and then managed to step down to a cheaper level because some other pledges were cancelled.

Haven't picked my colour or accessories yet, interested to see how the mudguards work.

pedalin

Yes, decided I'd give it a go - initially at the £1500 level and then managed to step down to a cheaper level because some other pledges were cancelled.

Haven't picked my colour or accessories yet, interested to see how the mudguards work.

Oh yes, I did the same!

I've gone for the blue and ordered a set of mudguards, despite them still being in development. The luggage options look class too but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Looking forward to delivery.

slowridr

Oh yes, I did the same!

I've gone for the blue and ordered a set of mudguards, despite them still being in development. The luggage options look class too but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Looking forward to delivery.
Excellent! I went for the orange - mostly for visibility, and also because I like orange. The blue is nice but not really 'me' and although I like the grey I suspect a lot of them will be grey. I might have gone for the mudguards if they'd posted up some pictures; I can't work out how they're going to fit them without impeding the fold or wheeling while folded.

cwrwcwrw

Excellent! I went for the orange - mostly for visibility, and also because I like orange. The blue is nice but not really 'me' and although I like the grey I suspect a lot of them will be grey. I might have gone for the mudguards if they'd posted up some pictures; I can't work out how they're going to fit them without impeding the fold or wheeling while folded.
It's the new Flit folding e bike.

View attachment 477870
Comes with integrated lights and its a grand cheaper than the Brompton. Battery is in the frame so no extra piece to carry.
https://www.t3.com/news/flit-16-folding-electric-bike-review
What do we think?
It's the same weight as a non- electric Brompton so range shouldn't be an issue - if it runs out you're just pedalling as if you were on a Brompton. A little cheeky plus for me is the battery is easily removable and can be re charged on the train. I've ordered one and know the designer David Turpin - he;ll like the Cubist mention!

You are not allowed to take electric bikes on trains.
Not correct.

From the National Rail Conditions of Travel:

Unless prohibited by a Train Company’s individual cycle policy, cycles of the electric-assist pedal cycle type may be carried on trains provided that they are similar in size to a traditional cycle. Power assisted cycles without traditional cycle-style pedals, or with oversized dimensions cannot be carried.

In any event, the Flit doesn't even look powered!

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not correct.

From the National Rail Conditions of Travel:

Unless prohibited by a Train Company’s individual cycle policy, cycles of the electric-assist pedal cycle type may be carried on trains provided that they are similar in size to a traditional cycle. Power assisted cycles without traditional cycle-style pedals, or with oversized dimensions cannot be carried.

In any event, the Flit doesn't even look powered!

And in any, any, event, if you fold it it ceases to be classed as a bicycle and becomes luggage.

Top Bottom