E-scooter rider banned for Drink Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...d-while-drunk-banned-from-roads-a4325411.html

A man believed to be the first person convicted of drink-driving on an electric scooter has been banned from driving for 16 months.

Dmitry Gromov, 28, rode his e-scooter while drunk and crashed into a moped injuring both the driver and pillion passenger while one-and-a-half times over the legal limit.
He pleaded guilty at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London to drink-driving and careless driving at London Wall in the City of London and must sacrifice his licence to drive any vehicles.

The 28-year-old, from Shoreditch, east London must also pay £3,367.96 in compensation to the two people injured, magistrates ruled.

classic33

Leg End Member
Dink Driving!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Not even sure how this is possible? You don't need a licence to use an e scooter (I know they're illegal to use on uk roads, but thats not the point) so he wasn't commiting an endorsable offence surely? Or am I missing something?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not even sure how this is possible? You don't need a licence to use an e scooter (I know they're illegal to use on uk roads, but thats not the point) so he wasn't commiting an endorsable offence surely? Or am I missing something?

The wording of the drink drive charge is: "That you drove a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road, namely the... at a time when your blood alcohol level was above the legal limit."

Mechanically propelled in this case includes electricity.

For drink driving, the legality or otherwise of the vehicle is irrelevant.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
The wording of the drink drive charge is: "That you drove a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road, namely the... at a time when your blood alcohol level was above the legal limit."

Mechanically propelled in this case includes electricity.

For drink driving, the legality or otherwise of the vehicle is irrelevant.
I didn't realise that e scooters were classed as vehicles.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I didn't realise that e scooters were classed as vehicles.

So to is a derestricted e-bike - riding a derestricted e-bike while over the limit puts your driving licence at risk.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I think yours is a common misconception, particularly among those who think using electric scooters has no legal implications. They will find out the hard way, like this guy.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I think yours is a common misconception, particularly among those who think using electric scooters has no legal implications. They will find out the hard way, like this guy.

https://www.micro-scooters.co.uk/community/2019/07/electric-scooters-law-uk/

Do you need a licence for adult electric scooters?
No
, you are not required to have a driver’s licence or learners permit in order to use an electric scooter because it cannot be used on roads.

Do I need to register or tax an adult electric scooter?
No
, you do not need to register an electric scooter and it is tax exempt because it cannot be used on roads.

Riding an e-scooter on the road is riding an illegal untaxed vehicle ie legally equivalent to driving an untaxed illegal car

Brandane

Legendary Member

Smudge

Veteran
People have been getting away with riding these e-scooters and non road legal ebikes on the road and cycle paths for far too long now. They seem to see it as more acceptable than driving an unregistered, non taxed or insured motor vehicle. When its exactly the same thing.
The more people that get nicked on them the better. Maybe that will make them realise the risk they are taking.

Smudge

Veteran
That guy who killed that woman on a crossing in London will be in court next month. He's had a whole host of charges thrown at him, many of them because its alleged he was riding a non road legal ebike.

Top Bottom