E Scooters > on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Link is from July last year, 2021.
For their action in going the wrong way down a one way street(See previous post mentioning going against the traffic flow, and being over the limit. No mention of if it was involved in one of the trials or private.
There are no trials covering Thetford. Knowing where local trials are was part of the reason why I chose a reasonably local news report.

No mention of the vehicle being seized either, so presumably it was, on the road legally being used in an illegal manner.
That seems like a big presumption without evidence. (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...)

Outside of the trials, they have no legal status on UK roads.* You can't MOT, insure or get a seperate last licence to cover it's legal use on the road. Don't believe me, try and come back with the results.

*That's the answer as given by the MIB, who have access to better legal teams than you or me.
Where did you get that from? The MIB's written evidence to Parliament says "An e-scooter is a motor vehicle under the RTA definition". Various lawyers have also published more recent statements saying things like E-scooters fall within the legal definition of a ‘motor vehicle’

Later MIB statements say they are "bearing the costs for compensating victims who are hit by e-scooters" and "this EU law requirement remains in UK law until the government legislates to remove it." I don't care if they're not covering it under schemes named Uninsured Driver or Untraceable Driver: unless something has changed, they are covering it and the insuring drivers among us are paying for it.

Edited to ask you
If, as you claim, they are electric motorbikes, why aren't helmets being worn by the users? Motorbike riders are legally required to wear one.
That's just another law users are breaking. If they're willing to commit more serious offences such as riding without registration, insurance, MOT and so on, does it really surprise anyone they also break the motorcycle helmet law?

If you mean why users of the trial schemes aren't wearing helmets, that's because they're not required to since The Electric Scooter Trials and Traffic Signs (Coronavirus) Regulations and General Directions 2020 amended the Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998 to exclude sub-500w/55kg/15.5mph non-pedalled two-wheel-in-line one-person handlebar-controlled fail-safe-power vehicles used in trials.

Please, if you contradict this, offer links or at least decent citations, instead of waving.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just seen some @'#~!! approach a queue of traffic waiting at some toad works traffic lights. This lout wasn't on an electric bike, but a small petrol powered 'monkey bike', but it warrants a decent rant! As he approached, he thought the Highway Code didn't apply to him, so he just rode onto the pavement and went round the toad works. No fecking lights on his bike, no registration plate, no helmet, no doubt no insurance, no MOT etc etc!

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
There are no trials covering Thetford. Knowing where local trials are was part of the reason why I chose a reasonably local news report.

That seems like a big presumption without evidence. (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...)

Where did you get that from? The MIB's written evidence to Parliament says "An e-scooter is a motor vehicle under the RTA definition". Various lawyers have also published more recent statements saying things like E-scooters fall within the legal definition of a ‘motor vehicle’

Later MIB statements say they are "bearing the costs for compensating victims who are hit by e-scooters" and "this EU law requirement remains in UK law until the government legislates to remove it." I don't care if they're not covering it under schemes named Uninsured Driver or Untraceable Driver: unless something has changed, they are covering it and the insuring drivers among us are paying for it.

That's just another law users are breaking. If they're willing to commit more serious offences such as riding without registration, insurance, MOT and so on, does it really surprise anyone they also break the motorcycle helmet law?

If you mean why users of the trial schemes aren't wearing helmets, that's because they're not required to since The Electric Scooter Trials and Traffic Signs (Coronavirus) Regulations and General Directions 2020 amended the Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998 to exclude sub-500w/55kg/15.5mph non-pedalled two-wheel-in-line one-person handlebar-controlled fail-safe-power vehicles used in trials.

Please, if you contradict this, offer links or at least decent citations, instead of waving.
Name any other scheme operated by the MIB?

Please note I have said, and you've repeated, outside of those used in the trials. Not privately owned, which under current legislation see them having no legal status on UK roads. Nor are they covered by The Electric Scooter Trials and Traffic Signs (Coronavirus) Regulations... .

Why, because everything is geared to these trials and the outcomes of the same. Which was to have been debated at the start of this year, in the House of Lords.
I've heard little about that debate, or the outcome. Then again, I've not gone looking.

classic33

Leg End Member
Provide any supporting link or similar for that, please, else I'll continue believing the ones I posted earlier that said otherwise.
Believe what you want. However, what you posted earlier all refer to only those e-scooters being used in the trials.

Which is what I had already said in prior posts.

You're tying yourself up in knots, as you did with the bag of sugar.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I disagree. The problem is our legislators are reactive at best, never saw this coming, and have consequently made no moves to accommodate it.

...is typical of the mindset of those who subscribe to a kind of Baden Powell take on humanity. All these people should stop being so damn lazy, and get on a bicycle. Do 'em some good. Harrumph. And many etcs. Thing is, the bone idle will always be with us, and they have to get around too. Far better that they do it without the aid of a ton & a half of steel and a pollution-belching engine.

Tossers will toss. The really major difference with doing it on an electric scooter rather than a motor vehicle is that, as with bikes, the rider is far more likely to damage him/herself rather than someone else. On balance, preferable, I'd say.

And yes, apparently a 14 year old girl was killed riding one. Then again, five people die on the roads every day. There is pretty much no form of transport that's entirely safe.

We have to get around somehow. Given the alternatives of internal combustion and musclepower + moral fibre, it seems very clear to me that electric scooters should be encouraged, not baulked at every turn. Some kind of registration + moves toward presumed liability and we could just edge our way toward a more sustainable model for urban transport. If we - which is to say 'they' - could try to develop more foresight than the average first time scoooter-muppet.
It undermines our local councils 'Active Transport' policy thus is just as bad as car transport in contributing to obesity.

Top Bottom