E Scooters > on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I see more and more e-scooters being ridden on the roads and in general - there seems to be an explosion in terms of numbers.
And, as far as I recall, they are still not meant to be ridden on pavements or the road - only on private land - or if in a trial area they can be ridden on cycle lanes.

There are a number of trials being carried out around the UK
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-users

And reading this in more detail, you need a category Q licence (or if you have a provisional or full driving licence)

Personally, I dont have an issue with them on paths and cycle paths, but I am concerned to see them on roads.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You're right about the explosion in numbers. Here in SE London I see a good few scooters everyday. I'm not really bothered about them on the roads. The more non motor vehicles using the road the better, which hopefully helps car drivers become more aware that they are not the only traffic on and entitled to the roads.
But, with those small wheels, they have to be very careful. I saw a scooter rider go arse over tit when he hit a pot hole. Luckily there was no other traffic about.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
One of the mechanics in the local garage sometime uses one to go to work. Not only is he going up a one way street but is on the pavement so not sure how many laws he is breaking :laugh: It's quite early in the morning though and I doubt if anyone is bothered.

I see an increasing number of them round here - very few if any are on the roads - just pavements

Most are ridden sensibly and on less populated areas.
If they are illegal on roads or pavements then there is no incentive to ride in a specific place????

They really need to issue some kind of rules before it just becomes an accepted norm to ride them on pavements
although it may be too late already

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'd like one with the 10 inch wheels, but I'm not going the break the law ;)

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ebikes and Escooters are everywhere in London now.
I do get annoyed when I get buzzed by them especially when I am walking with my kids.
The law needs to catch up to the changing environment soon.
They go very fast. It was only last week that an ebike was keeping up with my car doing 30mph clearly an illegal model. I don’t have an issue as long as they are safe and insured.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I saw a scooter rider go arse over tit when he hit a pot hole. Luckily there was no other traffic about.
I saw one of those hand held control electric skate board things almost stack it into the back of taxi, he had to "de board" quickly and then retrieve the thing. He went from Mr Cool to Mr Embarrassed very quickly.

the defo shouldn't be on the pavements as dangerous to peds, they behave a bit differently to bikes (similar to ebikes), but having them in cycle lanes isnt a major issue. they are a danger to themselves mixing in with the general traffic, manly as the standard of "riding" is well below your average cyclist.

purpan

Lots of them used by commuters, on and off road, where I work in Toulouse. There haven’t been any real problems that I know of, except the usual antagonism towards anything new. They do seem very practical, particularly as an alternative to the Metro in these covid days.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive heard that a lad on a high performance e scooter was knocked off by a car outside out village last week, but there has been no gleeful reporting of the incident in the Mail.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
They are all on the pavements here along with the mobility vehicles which go really fast.The latter also use the cycle lanes, the road and the bus lanes. Those pensioners need to take a test because some of them are driven very dangerously from what I've seen.

Top Bottom