E-Scooters - One death and a serious injury this weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not sure if discussed any where else ?

Young lady killed this weekend on an e-scooter collision with a truck, and a young lad seriously injured when he crashed his scooter. Both machines are illegal to use just about anywhere.

Drago

Legendary Member
I see there are renewed calls to tighten the laws around their use...

...while conveniently overlooking the fact that the poor lass who died at the weekend was already breaking several laws.

Law being ignored? That's ok, we'll call for some new laws!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A one chap near come a cropper on my commute. He was travelling a fair old speed in the road. Hit a small ramp where the roads being repaired and nearly went flying. Could have been a lot worse then it was.

No-one is saying that, but by the nature of not being 'legal' you've also no insurance should you injure someone.

Our camp site has banned all electrically powered scooter type contraptions, including hover boards. Main reasons were the speeds the kids were doing.
There's currently a review about electric vehicles such as these. It's arguable that the laws are out of step and the whole insurance thing irks me no end or do you think insurance should be compulsory for cyclists along with number plates and tax. What about the same for pedestrians and what your caravan park does is of no interest to me, it's private land, they can demand everyone rides a trained cow for all I care.

Brains

Legendary Member
The law needs to be updated.

Electric powered scooters and the like are part of the future transport solutions (one less car and all that)
I was in Oslo last week, they have rolled out a Boris Bike type solution across the city involving Electric Scooters, so they are now all over the place.
Big cities on the UK will need to follow suit.

So whilst the accidents this week are tragic, I'm afraid they will be the first of many.

classic33

Leg End Member
Child, seated on a hoverboard, flys out into the main road. Driver of a car swerved to avoid, hitting another car trying to miss the manned vehicle. Who's at fault?

The childs parents blame the car driver, even though their vehicle was the one hit.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

There's currently a review about electric vehicles such as these. It's arguable that the laws are out of step and the whole insurance thing irks me no end or do you think insurance should be compulsory for cyclists along with number plates and tax. What about the same for pedestrians and what your caravan park does is of no interest to me, it's private land, they can demand everyone rides a trained cow for all I care.

As someone who has personally been sued by another cyclist (I was knocked off i a hit and run, my bike bounced into another cyclist and knocked him of), and the case recently with a pedestrian, yes we should have insurance. That guy that hit the pedestrian is in a financially sticky place now. Crap happens.

Scooters aren't legal to use in public places. These things easily do 40 mph. I know my son has ridden (his bike) after one scooter at over 20 mph on our caravan park.

Have you got out of the wrong side of the bed recently ?

As someone who has personally been sued by another cyclist (I was knocked off i a hit and run, my bike bounced into another cyclist and knocked him of), and the case recently with a pedestrian, yes we should have insurance. That guy that hit the pedestrian is in a financially sticky place now. Crap happens.

Scooters aren't legal to use in public places. These things easily do 40 mph. I know my son has ridden (his bike) after one scooter at over 20 mph on our caravan park.

Have you got out of the wrong side of the bed recently ?
Perhaps I have. I read an inference from your opening post which you perhaps did not intend. Someone died, we don't know the circumstance but it may not have been her fault, the legality of the scooter may have been irrelevant. Would it still be relevant if they were made legal tomorrow.

I also fundamentally disagree with your view of insurance. I appreciate your own experiences colour your view but the responsibility to others rests not with the most vulnerable user be they a cyclist or an escooterer or ultimately a ped. In a similar way, I wear a cycle helmet because I fractured my skull coming off a bike but I don't believe they should be made compulsory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Perhaps I have. I read an inference from your opening post which you perhaps did not intend. Someone died, we don't know the circumstance but it may not have been her fault, the legality of the scooter may have been irrelevant. Would it still be relevant if they were made legal tomorrow.

I also fundamentally disagree with your view of insurance. I appreciate your own experiences colour your view but the responsibility to others rests not with the most vulnerable user be they a cyclist of an ebiker or ultimately a ped. In a similar way, I wear a cycle helmet because I fractured my skull coming off a bike but I don't believe they should be made compulsory.

My OP made no reference to it being the person's fault - that's in your mind. This was for a discussion.

There is a huge issue in that these scooters are sold all over, and there is very little reference to the fact they are illegal to use in most places (6 points on a driving license if caught on the road).

You'd be a blithering idiot not to have insurance if you are a regular cycle user, but that's for another thread.

The law does need changing.

Top Bottom