E-Tandems

biking_fox

Guru
Had a test ride on Circe's E-Helios Steps which was great fun. I foresee one of these in our future. I'm not sure that Di-2 auto shifters are really necessary but it was amusing to hear them beep up and down. We had an issue when we managed to get out of pedal sync, - the captain has the motor on the bottom bracket which has a freewheel, but the stoker didn't. This caused quite a bit of wobble. I'm thinking we get a stoker freewheel fitted too, so at least correcting the sync should be easier.

Has anyone tried other e-tandems? Anything particularly better or worse to take note of or consider?

Sixmile

Veteran
If Tandems are like hen's teeth, then I don't know what e-tandems would be. I've never seen one in the flesh but if ever there was a bike that needed a little extra push at times, it's a tandem.

OP
OP
B

biking_fox

Guru
Here's the beauty. Sadly OtherHalf I both had a (not the) lurgy all weekend so she's not been ridden far yet. 250W motor which isn't that much kick with both of us on, but enough of a boost to be helpful. Fully Di2 with an 11sp Alpine hub, which is silly but great fun.

Attachments

• 314560997_5450521878329662_3655458579505936063_n.jpg
    314560997_5450521878329662_3655458579505936063_n.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
B

biking_fox

Guru
Finally managed to go for a ride - 10mile round trip for sunday lunch. A few wobbles, but we're both getting the hang of it. Although I don't really notice the motor kicking in that much, I certainly do when it stops helping at 15.5mph. Riding home after beer with lunch was no worse so that's an extra win! Although we've both tandem'd before, I still need to work on more communication, and we need to practise starting a bit more. with both bottom brackets having free-wheels we can get out of sync but stoker just coasts until we're together again.

Top Bottom