Tandem idea exploration and 26” wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been thinking about 2 bike options recently, and this based on the fact that i enjoy riding with my wife and daughter (usually one at a time is enough..) We do a bit of MTB stuff but only usually locally and short rides. With my daughter we more likely stick to the roads and often ride together when on holiday. As i do like to climb a bit and explore a bit further especially when we’re away i did start to initially think about an e-road bike that either could be use for an extended or more exertive trip. Then the crazy idea of a tandem popped into my mind 😂 this has me thinking this would be either the worst or best idea I’ve had in a while🤔 There’s certainly no waiting around for the slower rider with a tandem and communication should be easier, if even being a need for communication between pilot and stoker (just my guess) Started to look around and then also tried to work out the usual things like “how on earth do you transport one” and then worked out that the max length we could fit in our camper without having to dismantle one would be 220cm, and of course I’ve found a nice second hand tandem that’s 223cm… i reckon it will fit some how🤓

It’s a 20yrs old Follis tandem, a French brand that seemed to be quite reputable but stopped building around that time. It’s a triple of course but has 26” wheels and is a small although I’m only 171cm (pilot) and the stokers are 166cm. This example seems in good condition although I’m having a look at it this week. Canti brakes and even a rear drum brake as well although we weigh 125kgs pilot and stoker combined so i assume they be enough. It seems well equipped with decent racks and dynamo so I’m expecting it to be pretty heavy, guessing maybe 20-22kgs ???

Couple of pics, tis a thing of beauty🥰

IMG_0377.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpeg

I’m assuming hills will be tough, especially as i may be ”carrying” the stoker on occasion😮‍💨 but i think it will handle most road conditions, well apart from the UK😂 but certainly tracks, odd bit of farm roads etc and as we may go shopping on it then the pannier racks should be very handy. And after looking around i was surprised at how ”cheap” some of the second hand tandems are, this little lady is £500 but maybe that’s too much ??

Both my wife and daughter ride drop bar road bikes but I’m quite sure there’s some learning to be done on tandem riding, it seems like a fun idea but of course could just end in divorce 😂 We’ve a week in Sanremo coming up at Easter so the Cipressa and Poggio by tandem could be on the menu😳

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What do they think of the idea, are they equally enthused? Are you assuming you will be the one up front, and why?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The great thing about a tandem is that you'll be faster on the flat (and downhill if you have the nerve) with all but the feeblest stoker. Uphill is a different matter unless you are lucky with compatible pedalling styles and levels of fitness, hence a triple is useful. The Arai drum-brake is still well-regarded, less likely to fade, as a drag brake, than a disc. I think I can see it's on a third lever which is much better than the traditional way of running both rim brakes off one lever and the drum off the other. The frame will flex a bit if you carry luggage or other extra weight. The rear wheel is probably a freewheel block rather than a freehub and cassette.
Follis were a good workaday French make.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
What do they think of the idea, are they equally enthused? Are you assuming you will be the one up front, and why?

Good point and i guess we can always work that bit out, although I’m pretty sure both will be happier with me steering, gear changing and braking, but would be very happy to be at the back if they want.

Both are at this stage rather amused by the idea, not sure what that means as yet.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
The great thing about a tandem is that you'll be faster on the flat (and downhill if you have the nerve) with all but the feeblest stoker. Uphill is a different matter unless you are lucky with compatible pedalling styles and levels of fitness, hence a triple is useful. The Arai drum-brake is still well-regarded, less likely to fade, as a drag brake, than a disc. I think I can see it's on a third lever which is much better than the traditional way of running both rim brakes off one lever and the drum off the other. The frame will flex a bit if you carry luggage or other extra weight. The rear wheel is probably a freewheel block rather than a freehub and cassette.

Thanks for that, wasn’t sure about the drum brake as the last one i worked on was on my brothers Mini of the late 70’s. Sounds like it’s a useful feature. Will take a look at the freewheel to see if it’s hub or block based. I realise that on 26” wheels the tyre choice might be limited but reckon they’ll last a few years.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Thanks for that, wasn’t sure about the drum brake as the last one i worked on was on my brothers Mini of the late 70’s. Sounds like it’s a useful feature. Will take a look at the freewheel to see if it’s hub or block based. I realise that on 26” wheels the tyre choice might be limited but reckon they’ll last a few years.

26" or 650B?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Lovely looking bike and quality too I suspect. Even has Brooks saddles. You all seem very enthusiastic about the idea so I should go for it. If it doesn't work out you could sell it very easily coming into spring and summer, maybe for more if you can do a good deal with the seller.Do all the usual checks.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran

Actually had a chance to have a look at the tandem today. The Arai is actually on the LH brake lever and the 2 regular cantilever brakes are both on the RH lever, not as i would have preferred but I’m sure quite workable.

The year 2005 and it genuinely looks like it came out of the shop yesterday, plus it had a good service end of last year with new tyres, brake pads and all cables. It was more nimble than i thought for a bike that’s 2.2m in length but i assume that the smaller wheels help with that. Overall very impressed and now to make a decision🤔

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It’s quite easy enough to switch the brakes over. I have done that with 3 second hand bikes, with minimal fuss.
Just buy the thing. One more of us, one less of them. Tandeming is awesome fun. They are not allowed on trains though. Just saying.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
It’s quite easy enough to switch the brakes over. I have done that with 3 second hand bikes, with minimal fuss.
Just buy the thing. One more of us, one less of them. Tandeming is awesome fun. They are not allowed on trains though. Just saying.

Yes think I’d go down that route, oh and change the bar tape😂 Mrs R was quite clear about that.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Looks a really nice machine. Tandems are a very much "marmite" proposition though, loved or hated in equal measure.

Arai drum brakes are excellent on a tandem, we have ours fitted in the stoker's bars on a thumb gear lever so you can just leave it on on long descents.

Three big benefits: prevents rims overheating, reduces rim wear and increases overall braking power. Wouldn't be without one.

Top Bottom