Early English recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Interesting! I'd like to see more recumbent and bicycle history!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
A history of recumbent development would indeed be interesting. I get the impression that there have been individuals all over the place producing them but for some reason the didn't catch on, at least not until recent years. I guess that there is a stable and slowly growing population of them now. For some time I've had the idea that if a recumbent features in a popular film e.g. James Bond makes his getaway on a Street Machine, the market for them will boom.

byegad

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
A history of recumbent development would indeed be interesting. I get the impression that there have been individuals all over the place producing them but for some reason the didn't catch on, at least not until recent years. I guess that there is a stable and slowly growing population of them now. For some time I've had the idea that if a recumbent features in a popular film e.g. James Bond makes his getaway on a Street Machine, the market for them will boom.

The main reason for early 'bents not 'catching on' was the UCI ban of 1934. Manufacturers couldn't race tham so didn't build them.

As to recumbent history try 'The Recumbent Bicycle' by Gunnar Fehlau isbn1-892590-59-X

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
byegad said:
The main reason for early 'bents not 'catching on' was the UCI ban of 1934. Manufacturers couldn't race tham so didn't build them.

As to recumbent history try 'The Recumbent Bicycle' by Gunnar Fehlau isbn1-892590-59-X

We've been here before.

The main reason radical new developments don't catch on is the reluctance of the general public.

The UCI banned recumbents being raced against uprights, they didn't ban them outright.

That is like the MicWic

Arr the MicWic:tongue:

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
I've read both books thanks and done my own research.

I don't subscribe to the "the recumbent didn't take off because of the UCI" argument because it is often cited by recumbent designers/manufacturers and doesn't mention that mass produced recumbents were available in 1914 and that smaller manufacturers had been making them for 20 years prior to that.

And why are recumbents more popular now? the UCI hasn't changed the rules.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The UCI decision has bound to have had an influence though. My understanding was that it was made at the behest of the bigger manufacturers who didn't want the cost of changing over to recumbent production. This must have had the knock on effect of making them small scale expensive products. Add to that the fact that people like to emulate the sporting heroes of the day and you can see why the decision must have had some negative effect on recumbent proliferation.

The current growth in their use if probably partly down to more affluence, cheaper small scale production methods, increased leisure time and the fact that for many people, they are simply a better kind of bike.

byegad

Legendary Member
Hilldodger said:
I've read both books thanks and done my own research.

I don't subscribe to the "the recumbent didn't take off because of the UCI" argument because it is often cited by recumbent designers/manufacturers and doesn't mention that mass produced recumbents were available in 1914 and that smaller manufacturers had been making them for 20 years prior to that.

And why are recumbents more popular now? the UCI hasn't changed the rules.

I think recumbents are now enjoying some popularity is a spin off of the MTB and BMX fads. Suddenly we had a generation who think outside the UCI box. It didn't need to have a diamond frame, 27" or there abouts wheels and drop handle bars to be a good bike!

When I was a lad in the 50s and 60s we all aspired to a racing bike a la UCI specification. Now you can leave one outside woolworths unlocked and only a real enthusiast will be tempted.

I assume you are not saying that the UCI ban had no effect? Had the velocar been entered in more races and copied by other manufacturers that would surely have had an efect on sales and development. The cycling comics of the time were divided but, for a less than top draw racer to be able to lead the peleton for kms at a time demonstrated better than anything else the potential of the design, so the UCI acted.

Top Bottom