Early mobile phones with cameras....who had one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Without googling can you recall the year?.....I was well out.
I had one for my job (roof surveys).
I think it was a Nokia AND if I recall properly I could take/store 8 photos max.
It was a real boon as I no longer had to sketch problems and post them or do a 40 mile round trip to discuss it.
What are your recollections ?

classic33

Leg End Member
They were about in September 2001, that much I know.
A new starter at work got caught taking photos, in work.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep, that's the date Google tells me.
Frightened to ask what he was photographing.
She was taking photographs of people at their workstations. At the time I was working in one of the bank call centers, dealing with setting up accounts, which involved private paperwork.

markemark

Über Member
Built in? I seem to remember the first being marketed has one on a cable that plugged into the phone.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I had a Samsung clam phone. Problem was that when shut, the button on the outside for taking photos still worked, and that unlike when it was open, needed no confirmation of the request.

As a result, I frequently ended up with the memory full of photos of the inside of my pocket.

Also there was no way to download the photos. The only way to extract them was to send them in a message. Only my service provider didn't allow files above a certain size, which was OK for simple photographs (e.g. landscapes) but for detailed images, the file was too big. Hence there was one photo on the phone for which I had absolutely no way of extracting it.

Alex321

Veteran
The first one I had was a Nokia N95, almost certainly in 2007.

That was also the first phone I had with built in GPS. I remember walking around Cheltenham (where I was working at the time), and being amazed it would even show which side of the street I was on.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
First one I had capable of such things was a Motorola RZr, circa 2001. How things have changed. I didn't really use it because it would have cost 48p to text a grainy image

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The first one I had was a Nokia N95, almost certainly in 2007.

That was also the first phone I had with built in GPS. I remember walking around Cheltenham (where I was working at the time), and being amazed it would even show which side of the street I was on.

I absolutely loved my N95. Camera quality was good. It did all kinds of stuff.

Top Bottom