'EarWorms'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Generally accepted to be a piece of music, or a song, that (subconsciously?) embeds itself in your mind

My most recent one came about yesterday morning, driving back from the ParkRun, & listening to 'Sound Of The Sixties' on Radio 2

Before I tell you what it was, I do have a connection in a way to the singer

When I was a kid, my mother was an ardent fan of this guy, concerts, records, anything
Heck!. I even met him myself, when he was at the Batley Variety Club, or Wakefield Theatre Club
(& as I type, I'm sure he even called at the house, en-route to one or the other once, but I'd have to ask about that)

Like most kids, I wasn't too keen on parents musical choice
However..... his other recordings with Country stars, like George Jones, & Melba Montgomery, still stay in my mind
He recorded in Italian too, mum even had those LP!

As for the other recordings of his, I'm sure many will spring to mind, but this one has been in my head for the weekend
Looking at the YouTube comments, they're not really wrong, he does have a magnificent voice

This was originally the b-side to 'Only Love Can Break A Heart'

Digressing slightly, I was taken to see Tony Christie, when I was about 12, back then I didn't think a lot
I knew the songs, from dads LPs, but now, I appreciate the sheer power of his voice (ie; Avenues & Alleyways)

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My understanding of ear worms is that they're more like "unwelcome" tunes that you never liked in the first place, and that keep repeating in your head despite your protests. I think songs that bring you pleasure or nostalgia aren't truly ear worms.

I watched this (fairly fun) video the other day, but after the 4 minutes of mirth had passed the synth pop music unfortunately stayed with me for about another 24 hours.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIfAkOBMf5A&sns=em

Oxo

Guru
I had a friend who got complementary tickets every week for Batley Variety Club and we rarely missed going. Big stars, big nights out. It was quite something in its day.
I lived only a couple of hundred yards away from Jimmy Corrigan, who owned the club, and many of the stars who performed there stayed with him.

It is now closed down and I believe is in the process of being transformed into a gym. It certainly put the town on the map at the time.

My understanding of ear worms is that they're more like "unwelcome" tunes that you never liked in the first place, and that keep repeating in your head despite your protests. I think songs that bring you pleasure or nostalgia aren't truly ear worms.
Yes, OP just had a song in his head.

I remember years ago (when clock radios were still a thing), I experimented with tuning the radio to a station that I hated, and moving it across the room to stop me snooze-buttoning it. I only did it once, because I had "Billy, don't be a hero" in my head for days.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, OP just had a song in his head.

I remember years ago (when clock radios were still a thing), I experimented with tuning the radio to a station that I hated, and moving it across the room to stop me snooze-buttoning it. I only did it once, because I had "Billy, don't be a hero" in my head for days.
This one(passed every morning, within the same 200 yard stretch by someone who had this on full blast in in the car)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sehljqcxxnc

or some other version

The uke band that I belong to have been doing some Christmas concerts (all for charity), and one of the songs, which has been rattling round in my head after last night's show, has been

View: https://youtu.be/5I2f1UJjiAA

Thats a great tune! Some other ear worms i could offer up would be:
Take these broken wings - Mr Mister
Kids in America - Kim Wilde
Wonderful christmas time - Wings
Final Countdown - Europe

The list goes on but they need an annoyance factor to qualify surely?

sight-pin

Veteran
Marc Almond & Gene Pitney - Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart. This version sounds better than the original to my ears, but it's a great song nonetheless IMO.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v_HZPyrsUM

Sandra6

Veteran
I've been chaperoning my daughter and a friend at panto this past couple of weeks so the songs from that are in my head constantly!
Jai -ho by the pussy cat dolls and tell me what you want by spice girls in particular!

Top Bottom