Easier when not on your back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thompson

This was my second ride round Dalby red/black route as we alternate and it was incredibly boggy. It also didnt help that I was using someone elses full suspension bike compared to my hardtail so it was completely different. First hour went well with no form of crashing, a few close shaves by all three of us but not bad. Then I hit my first of many issues. It was very rough and slippy and so not great conditions, but there was this tree root sticking up just after a short but steep climb, I went to try and get over and the front wheel did, but then the back wheel hit it funny and skidded right sending me flying left down a hill head first (luckily on my back). The next fall was also mine. I had just gone flying down this weird step thing with quite a way to go down and then went through a massive puddle, then, hit something or other and keepign my right foot clipped in toppled sideways and wedged the handlebar in a complete boggy mess (luckily it wasnt my bike so I dont need to clean it). Twas rather hard to get up with having a big bike ontop of me and slowly sinking in the mud. The third fall was also mine as i'm greedy like that :smile: But ti be fair it wasn't a real fall. Another tree root I presume. The bike fell and landed against a tree and so wasn't to bad. :smile: The next fall, again mine, was slightly painful, I was going round a hairpin bend that was uphill and I find these hard even in optimum conditions, I was so happy I managed to turn round but then the bike got stuck and kept turning, ending up, somehow, with me ontop of the bike and my right hand wedged bewteen the wheel and frame. Took a while to get outta that one.

The next fall, surprisenly, wasn't mine. It was one of the guys I was with. There was alternate part of the route to try if you were suicidal or stupid and the guy tried it. it was basically a near vertical climb made out of boulders (with gaps) he built up speed got half way up then the front wheel lifted up and started to roll back so he jumped/fell back then rolled down the stupid climb thing.

The final real fall was mine again, it realy wasn't my day at all. We were on a really narrow rocky track through the trees etc and for some reason I look up to gaze at the clouds, next thing I knew, I was hurtling through the bushes both feet clipped out into a ditch where I hit a rock and fell, again, on my back, with the bike ontop of me again.

Now, my excuse for every single 'fall' was that I was simply a bit tired and wanted a quick lie down. didn't really wash with the two guys. I was also called a cheat by the guy who didn't fall as when we were on a fire track a bad headwind started. So as I do road riding too, I did the clever thing and tucked in behind him. Cheating is such a strong word, initiative seems more suitable. :smile:

All in all, I travelled further on my back than I did on the bike which is why I struggled in my opinion, got a few new bruises for christmas and the two guys got some laughs watching me fling myself to the floor as soon as a tree root appears. (we were in a forest hence why I fell so much :biggrin: )

Top Bottom