Easiest 100mile near Suffolk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

A couple of my auntie's are considering training to do their first 100 mile ride next year. They are keen but very recreational cyclists, not having done more than 20 miles before. I'm going to get out there with them and give them a fair bit of advice on how to get up to standard... but I don't know much about the Sportives!

Does anyone have an idea of the easiest 100mile Sportive in the Suffolk area? As it's their first, it has to be 100, none of this 96mile nonsense. Preferably later in summer so they have that time to train up in nicer weather.

Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe look at Audax too

Sportives aren’t races so getting up to speed isn’t really the requirement more being able to do the distance

Maybe do some shorter ones first. Joining a club will potentially help them get used to doing distances in a group

Isn’t Suffolk pretty flat so would be an easier place for a sportive than Yorkshire for example!

Other than being in June, the Tour of Cambridgeshire might be perfect - it's one of the flatter ones and on closed roads. The sportive that claims the title The Flat 100 is up near Hull, but is incredibly flat :smile:

Sharky

Guru
Have a look at something like this
https://action.org.uk/events/cycling/suffolk-ride-100

I've ridden the Castle rides in Kent a few time and they are well organised.
You all start in groups, but they quickly disperse and you ride in your own company at your own speed, until reaching a feeding station, every 15 miles or so. Good lunch stop as well. Riders of all standards and definitely not a race.

Would recommend the shorter routes for the first organised ride you do.

Good luck

lane

Veteran
100 mile Suffolk Lanes Audax is great. I have done it twice. Highly recommended.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Other than being in June, the Tour of Cambridgeshire might be perfect - it's one of the flatter ones and on closed roads. The sportive that claims the title The Flat 100 is up near Hull, but is incredibly flat :smile:
This. Depending where in Suffolk, might be fairly easy to reach. Just hope it's not windy!

Suffolk only looks flat until you try to ride across it and the cycle routes were plotted by sadists - Kersey ford has no place on any cycle route!

If they are determined to do a "sportive" OK, but have never been keen on them - and paying to ride a bike.

Couldn't they do the Dunwich Dynamo? - about 116 miles I think but they could always bail somewhere. A great event with lots of folk.

Or do the Dynamo route in reverse by themselves with you - bailing near London if they wanted to.

The Dynamo route is pretty much flat.

Reactions: mjr
The only advantage I can think of about doing a 100 mile sportive vs just going out on a plain 100 mile ride is the extra motivation due to paying for the privilege of riding in it.

Luck ........... ^_^

Reactions: mjr

icowden

Veteran
New forest 100 is supposed to be pretty flat (and pretty pretty!) - it's a bit further away, but a really lovely place for a ride. I'm trying the standard (59 mile) course next week, so I can give you a full review then!

icowden

Veteran
It's also worth trying things like the BHF London to Brighton. It does have some big hills, but it's the friendliest event (and also the only event) that I have done. Lots of people walking up the tougher hills etc, loads of refreshment stops and support.

JhnBssll

Veteran
A few others to look out for:

Crafted Classique
Ipswich Cycle Swarm
Norwich Cycle Swarm
Diss Cyclathon
Suffolk Spring Classic (only 85 miles but a great route starting and finishing in Newmarket)

There's some rather pleasant countryside around these parts :smile:

Top Bottom