Easter and why does it move around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Why does Easter move about the calender? I know it has something to do with vernal equinox? but can someone tell me the definitive answer. Also, is it really another pagan festival that was hijacked by modern religion?

radger

Veteran
I *think* it's the first sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox - hence the moving

and yes, it was a pagan festival hijacked by modern religion

Maz

Guru
Not a definitive answer, but...

I think it's to do with the lunar calendar rather than the Jan-Dec calendar that we're used to. The lunar year is shorter and hence gets 'out of synch' with the normal calendar.

Could be I'm talking rubbish, tho...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Here we go. Extracted from Wikipedia
[gross oversimplification]
Easter is observed on the Sunday after the first full moon on or after the day of the vernal equinox.
[/gross oversimplification]
This year, Easter is very nearly as early as it possibly can be. In 2001, it'll be nearly as late as it can be.

And yes, it's a spring festival hijacked by the God-botherers.:rolleyes:
*awaits bolt of lightning*

simoncc

TheDoctor said:
Easter is observed on the Sunday after the first full moon on or after the day of the vernal equinox.
This year, Easter is very nearly as early as it possibly can be. In 2001, it'll be nearly as late as it can be.

And yes, it's a spring festival hijacked by the God-botherers.:rolleyes:

Adopted and adapted rather than hijacked. You can do what you like at Easter. Hijackers usually tell you what to do.

NickM

Veteran
Easter moves around because we allow the dates of this national holiday to be dictated to us by men in dresses and pointy hats.

Which is just too weird for words :wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:

And yes, it's a spring festival hijacked by the God-botherers.:wacko:

And the rules for calculation were set down at the Synod of Whitby in AD664. I like to think of the bishops deciding this, and then adjourning for fish and chips on the sea wall, eaten wearing kiss-me-quick hats, with ice cream for after. (no, don't even try to untangle the anachronisms in that idea, I know, I know...)

My friend who skinned a hare on Wednesday was debating when to have the resultant casserole - I suggested she be properly medieval about it, and give up meat for Lent, then eat it for Easter, as the original pagan Easter bunny.;)

purpleR

Guru
Paulus said:
Also, is it really another pagan festival that was hijacked by modern religion?

All those eggs. It must be some pagan fertility thing. And I just don't believe that Mr Cadbury's Parrot has got anything to do with Jesus....

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
Easter moves around because we allow the dates of this national holiday to be dictated to us by men in dresses and pointy hats.

Which is just too weird for words :wacko:

Why? Christmas doesn't move around, that was just as dictated by men in pointy hats and frocks... How dull would it be if everything in our lives was decided by government committee, based on focus groups?

It was a religious holiday long before 'national holidays' were thought of. So I don't think it's wierd at all.

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
And the rules for calculation were set down at the Synod of Whitby in AD664. I like to think of the bishops deciding this, and then adjourning for fish and chips on the sea wall, eaten wearing kiss-me-quick hats, with ice cream for after.
I like it! :wacko:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It's all to do with rabbits. They move around quickly. Eggs sit still but as Easter depends on both, the rapidly moving bunnies are the determining factor. Easter bonnets have little influence as they are on the heads of ladies following the rabbits.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
simoncc said:
Adopted and adapted rather than hijacked. You can do what you like at Easter. Hijackers usually tell you what to do.

Fair point, adopted and adapted then. I wasn't trying to imply Easter was being held at gunpoint:biggrin:
*bizarre mental image of Easter Bunny gaffer taped to a chair*

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Why? Christmas doesn't move around, that was just as dictated by men in pointy hats and frocks... How dull would it be if everything in our lives was decided by government committee, based on focus groups?

It was a religious holiday long before 'national holidays' were thought of. So I don't think it's wierd at all.

Has Arch been looking through my bedroom window?:wacko:;)

*worries*

Top Bottom