Easy rides in Kent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

Paul Narramore

Mrs N and I rode the Oyster Bay Trail (Whitstable to Reculver and back) yesterday, a mere 16 miles and pretty easy with only one short steep hill. We parked again in the public car park close to the harbour (£1 a day) and rode along the sea wall. There was a steep climb up to the Reculver Country Park, a short section of dirt/gravel and a long gentle slope down to the King Ethelbert pub at Reculver for a cup of tea.

On the retun trip, I was (as usual) way ahead of Mrs N so stopped to buy a couple of ice creams in Herne Bay. Unfortunately she was closer than I thought, rode on by (blind as a bat) and left me waiting there wondering where on earth she had got to. I rode alone to Whitstable to find her there.

She even got 'lost' riding 1/2 mile to the Neptune pub - "I'm not riding in all that traffic". I seem to spend more time waiting or looking for her than actually riding.

Nice ride though.:smile:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for all these Paul, I'm always on the lookout for flat rides we can do as a family, I've picked up a load of great ideas already :smile:

OP
OP
P

Paul Narramore

Mrs N and I tried to ride along the Royal Military Canal from Hythe towards Appledore last week. After Googling it, it appeared to have a decent towpath for cyclists and walkers, but we quickly found that within a mile or so of leaving Hythe, we were prevented from riding westwards but No Cycling signs. We rode along quiet roads getting further and further from the canal, and through the hamlets of Newchurch and Ivychurch before arriving at a pub in Hamstreet. After a pint and Coronation Chicken sandwiches, we re-found the canal but the towpath was first deep grave followed by a ploughed field so it was back to the B2067 and eastwards through Ruckinge, Bilsington. We rejoined the canal near Aldington by ignoring the No Cycling signs and lifting the bikes over a couple of stiles. Near Lympne the track got bumpier and bumpier, and much better suited to MTBs, and we even saw a giraffe in the grounds of the Port Lympne zoo. For the last couple of miles, the track improved to compacted gravel.

It's a shame that this towpath isn't improved as it passed through some nice countryside and would eventually reach Rye. The ride we did was 20 miles in length.

OP
OP
P

Paul Narramore

Chris
Mrs N and I rode the Viking Trail today, parked at Reculver and rode around the Isle of Thanet. 31 miles and a really good, mostly flat ride. We called in at the Margate Tourist Office and was told that the last leg of the ride from St.Nicholas-at-Wade back to Reculver had been completed. It hadn't. It meant about a miles trudge through thick grass to get back to a narrow path near to the former Roman Galley pub on the Thanet Way. Stopped for lunch at our favourite Ramsgate pub, the Belgian Bar, opposite the obelisk. A couple of Leffe Blondes went down well, although we could have saved some money with the Saithe & chips next door.
For children, Margate to Broadstairs was easily the flattest bit, either along the sea wall or along the cliff tops.

Top Bottom