Easy Route Wanted: London/Dover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
You should by now have the track of a FNRttC route to Whitstable
I do !
many thanks

StuartG

slower but further
What I get from this thread is that @Brains should start at midnight. Having done FNRttC Whitstable ride, that's not completely bonkers. Meeting in Greenwich/Woowich for supper, cycle through the night, breakfast on the ferry or in a cafe. Accommodation within 20km of the port at calais, then people can spend the rest of the day sleeping, exploring the town or going for miniature cycling adventures along the coast.
When my club did Dover from Croydon (leaving about 8am) they did an overnight stop at the Canterbury YHA. Then an easy ride down to Dover for a midday ferry. May be easier than trying to do Dover in one go with risks of missing ferry or being very late into France.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I've done the C&W (Whitstable to Canterbury) a few times on fixed.
Surfaces (for the most part) are not too bad, but I'd not argue with smutchin's view above^
Some of the inclines made me grimp (almost to the point of standstill-and-fall-over) thobut.

That'll be why I've only done it Canterbury to Whitstable then.

You know how in the south east everything is bigger and better than in the rest of the country ?
In this case what we are referring to geologically are the last Alpine folds, Shooters Hill is the most northerly Alpine Fold, so, to be accurate, you are correct, we should be calling the hills of Kent, the foothills of the Alpine Mountain Range !

Here is a photo I took at the start of the first Alpine ascent (in Deal, Kent). It could be tough!

View attachment 380385

They do a nice 'eggs royale'

Also, when are you heading off? 20+ cyclists heading east through SE London will be a nightmare with traffic. For that reason alone I would start somewhere like Darford instead.

Yes, and not wildly interesting. Trains to Dartford can be had for about £2.80 from SE London if you use an oyster card - Dartford is on the edge of the oyster card zone I think.

Best to start from a station that has no steps to the platforms. Or possibly even lifts in case they conk out.

Lee station is always step free both directions.

If you are interested Brains I could send you a gpx from Dartford to Birchington** which is along that coast. I have ridden/used it recently so it definitely works. You can of course ride from Dartford to Rochester pretty much traffic free if you don't use the more scenic routes. Not wildly pretty but it has certain virtues for novices.

** burial place of this chap by the way - he's near the church door.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_Gabriel_Rossetti

edit - just seen that you are planning to start from Shooters Hill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
Yes, and not wildly interesting. Trains to Dartford can be had for about £2.80 from SE London if you use an oyster card - Dartford is on the edge of the oyster card zone I think.

Best to start from a station that has no steps to the platforms. Or possibly even lifts in case they conk out.

Lee station is always step free both directions.

If you are interested Brains I could send you a gpx from Dartford to Birchington** which is along that coast. I have ridden/used it recently so it definitely works. You can of course ride from Dartford to Rochester pretty much traffic free if you don't use the more scenic routes. Not wildly pretty but it has certain virtues for novices.

** burial place of this chap by the way - he's near the church door.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_Gabriel_Rossetti

edit - just seen that you are planning to start from Shooters Hill.

:smile: - Can I have your route please!
I'm looking at all options
My inclination at the moment is to basically follow the FNRTC London/Whistable route and then head south

Pm me your email address brains and i will send it to you later this weekend.

I'll give it a look over and slight edit in view of my ride on it last week.

It is an "off road" "point to point" route, or whatever you call it, ie it just marks the turns. This minimises the points and means it can be used by the widest range of garmins.

StuartG

slower but further
An alternate to Dartford could be the train to Swanley (Oystercard friendly). Its on the edge of the country making it a prettier and less motory start. Its basically downhill to Whitstable (50 miles) via Longfield joining the FNRttC at Rochester.

Also you would get there on a Dover bound train so if the weather is totally appalling or someone is having a bad day - they could just stay aboard!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Last time I got off the train at Swanley, which was a couple of years ago I was told my Oyster card wasn't valid there. As the man said, rather menacingly, "You're in Kent now". A banjo played in the background.

Swanley was added to the Oystercard/Contactless system early last year. The Banjo was retired.

Top Bottom