Easyjet Bike Carriage costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
User said:
Personally, I wouldn't take a bike on sleazyJet or LyingAir.
I've flown with my bike with both, and Jet2, and have never had a problem with damage.

If you want cossetting, fly BA or one of the other government flag carriers and pay through the nose. Ryanair flew me to Sardinia for 38p return, so I'm not going to complain about being charged £25 each way for my bike.

ASC1951

Guru
wafflycat said:
Can't understand why anyone would want to give any money to Ryanair.
Because they resent flag carriers being compulsorily subsidised by the taxpayer, don't like protectionist control of landing slots and prefer some choice?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
ASC1951 said:
Ryanair flew me to Sardinia for 38p return,

No they didn't. By the time you'd paid all their add-ons it was about the same price as an airline who cares about your safety.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
ASC1951 said:
I've flown with my bike with both, and Jet2, and have never had a problem with damage.

If you want cossetting, fly BA or one of the other government flag carriers and pay through the nose. Ryanair flew me to Sardinia for 38p return, so I'm not going to complain about being charged £25 each way for my bike.

Surely not if you include landing fees etc. My flight with BA to Marseilles worked out at £40.50 each way and included an inflight meal and drink FWIW. Excellent service too.

We flew Ryanair into Rimini in May, headline rate £9.99 per person per flight, so under-£40 return for two of us ?
- not exactly, it was £190-something by time taxes, two bikes, one hold bag, in-person check-in fees, etc added on.

I can't say I like Ryanair, but they were the only UK airline we could find flying into Rimini non-stop from an airport near us.
We could have flown the shuttle down to Heathrow and then into Rimini with BA but that was £500-odd and involved letting the baggage-manglers at Heathrow get at our bikes...

OP
OP
J

johnny

So, if i fly with EJ i just ruck up at the airport with bike and panniers, pay a small fee and they give me a big cardboard box to put it in. Do i need to take the bike apart or will it fit in as is? Also do you need to deflate tyres?

johnny said:
So, if i fly with EJ i just ruck up at the airport with bike and panniers, pay a small fee and they give me a big cardboard box to put it in. Do i need to take the bike apart or will it fit in as is? Also do you need to deflate tyres?

You'll have to deflate the tyres, and probably remove the pedals and turn the handlebars parallel to the top bar.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You need to check with your departure airport. I've never seen anyone packing up their bike in a provided box at Liverpool. I think the facilities you get will be more a function of which baggage handling company is contracted to easyJet rather than a universal policy.

The costs and requirements are standard as detailed on the easyJet website, but the degree of help you'll get (plus the strictness of the enforcement of the rules) seems to vary.

Bigtallfatbloke

That is exactly what I did at Basel and all was well. I did need to take off my front wheel to fit the bike in the box but I have a 64 frame.

BUT

Tim is correct...check with the departure airport first , do not assume a box will be available. I have been trying to contact Montpellier airport as easyjet refuse to confirm if a box is available at their check in there or not...so I am assuming it wont be. Easy jets website (and their e mail) states that a bag will also be acceptable so i suppose I willcarry the bloody bag again on the bike, the tought of having to ride around montpellier looking for a huge bike box doesnt appeal.
I suggest you contact the airport and get an e mail confirming a box is available then try to buy it in advance and have them put it aside for you at the check in...probably a long shot but that is what I am trying to do at the moment.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Re my earlier post about hiring/buying bike when you arrive. I think you have to consider what kind of holiday you are taking. Is it primarily a cycling break where you wish to use your own quality machine on a good relatively traffic free road where you can test yourself and your machine? Or is it the type of meandering/touring break where you will stop often for coffee, meals sightseeing etc? If the latter then I still believe one of my options could contribute to a stress free break. It is not only the cost of transporting your bike but [for me anyway] the packing up into a bikebox, ensuring everything is protected. Humping it eventually to the airport, worring about it in transit and eventually putting it back together at the other end. Then going through the same old procedure in reverse. I've done all of the above. I have never found it a problem to source a bike. I was even offered a nice racing machine at a flea market for £40 which would have done the job admirably for me. There are not many parts of the world where you cannot find a bike if your visit does not require something of the standard that you have at home. Plus it all contributes to the experience. Just a thought of course.

Jim

Top Bottom