Easyjet Bike Carriage costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
johnny said:
Does anyone know how much EasyJet charge to carry a bike?

Yes BTFB does!

£15 each way I think

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think it's up to £16.50 each way if you pay beforehand. It's substantially more if you wait and pay at the airport.

Seems to go up every time you book.

Bigtallfatbloke

There is an additional cost for the bike payable when you book. Then when you get to the airport you need to buy the bikie box they provide (unless you already have one) . This box I was told was the only diminsion of box easyjet permit. The box cost me 14euros on arrival at the check in desk in addition to the extra bike fee paid on booking the flight.
I was lucky because I called my wife from meersberg and asjed her to book me a flight on line from Basel (two days ride), so I avoided the higher flight cost for airport ticket purchase.
I dont know what the extra bike charge was because she paid it!
The bike box is a good thing because you can fit all your gear in it as well pretty much if you unpack your panniers ans stuff the contents around the bike.
I used a sleep mat to protect the bike further. Tape and scissors were provided by easyjet.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The bike box is a good thing because you can fit all your gear in it as well pretty much if you unpack your panniers ans stuff the contents around the bike.
A common practice but one that is expressly forbidden by easyJet! Not sure what the penalty would be if they discovered this transgression. Ryanair would just pull it all out and leave it on the conveyor for you to claim.

OP
OP
J

johnny

Bike box?? Is that a solid plastic box or a cardboard box. Also does it mean that I don't need to invest in a proper bike bag/box? What dimensions was the EJ box?

Bigtallfatbloke

..expressly forbidden...well ok..but that is precisely what i did at Basel airport on the direct instructions of the check in lady.

The box is cardboard. It is big enough for a standard size bike. I have a 64cm galaxy and I needed to remove my front wheel to get it in...had the box been another 3 " longer I would not have had to.

On th eoutward flight with Ryan air my bag was wrapped in a CTC poly bike bag. There were two other bikes on that flight niether were wrapped at all, just hand the bars turned in and pedals off. Both the unwrapped bikes arrived on the flight, but mine missed the flight and was unwrapped and totally searched to the extent that they even took out the seat post and looked inside th eframe. The bike arrived 5 hours later on the next flight after much frantic telephoning etc. The bike was damaged on arrival by Ryan air, the chain was broken in two places and the deraillieur bent....it looked to me like because mine was wrapped they picked on it to seach and in the process damaged the bike and made it miss the plane. So the polybag for ryanair in the event was not needed, in fact it was a positive hindrence.

I still have the easy jet box in the garage...if you need exact measurements let me know and I will venture out there with a tape measure.

I would add that I could not carry my own 'proper' bike box/bag as I was touring and had no idea where or when my return flight would be, so I could not leave a proper bag/box anywhere for the return flight etc.
If i were in anyway able to I would get a 'proper' bike box and use that when i flew (assuming I would return from the same airport.
BUT check out easyjets conditions...the lady at the checkin insisted that the only box they would allow was the one they provided...my advic ewould be to check with the airline well in advance as to the type of box/measurements etc that are acceptable and get it in an e mail to show the check in staff.

Also...I checked in VERY early at Basel, about 3 hours before the check in actually opened for my flight. This wa smore by accidient than design but in the event it was better because i avoided the nightmare queues I experienced at 4am with ryanair at stansted...which with a bike and all the gear is a nightmare. You would do well to have somebody with you who can help you lug the bike and gear around the airport if possible...at stansted nobody gave a toss about anything except themselves...it was chaos and dragging the gear through hoards of tired selfish chavs wasnt ideal.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Does anybody on here think it is becoming a bit too much hassle to take your own bike on a 1 or 2 week tour raher than hiring or buying a cheap MTB and fitting your own tyres, pedals and saddle/rack. I'm sure airlines are happy to price us out of using our own. Cost us £25 each way last time on Rynair for 1 bike. You can rent a good race bike for £80 for a week or buy an MTB from Superstore for less. I have been told by a flight captain that budget airlines are not interested in luggage. They want us on and off with hand luggage for a quick turnaround. Thats why you have such a good hand luggage allowance. A delay caused by luggage removal etc costs them more than any income gained from charging for it.

Jim

rich p

ridiculous old lush
bigjim said:
Does anybody on here think it is becoming a bit too much hassle to take your own bike on a 1 or 2 week tour raher than hiring or buying a cheap MTB and fitting your own tyres, pedals and saddle/rack. I'm sure airlines are happy to price us out of using our own. Cost us £25 each way last time on Rynair for 1 bike. You can rent a good race bike for £80 for a week or buy an MTB from Superstore for less. I have been told by a flight captain that budget airlines are not interested in luggage. They want us on and off with hand luggage for a quick turnaround. Thats why you have such a good hand luggage allowance. A delay caused by luggage removal etc costs them more than any income gained from charging for it.

Jim

I travelled to Marseille in June with BA for £81 return with no charge for the bike. I flew out at 6.30 am from Gatwick and was riding by late morning. For a short break it's a no brainer and you get to ride your own bike too.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think it's wrong to bundle easyJet and Ryanair together. Collectively (amongst the cycling group) we must have flown over 100 times with easyJet and have never had a single problem with the bikes.

The point about BA is well made; headline ticket prices now only contribute a fraction to the 'take of price' when you fly. BA recently has consistently been cheaper than the 'budget airlines' when you factor in taking the bike.

Hiring a bike in situ is highly variable. Whilst some places like Majorca are well served, decent bikes are harder to find in some equally good riding destinations.

Christopher

Über Member
rich p said:
I travelled to Marseille in June with BA for £81 return with no charge for the bike. I flew out at 6.30 am from Gatwick and was riding by late morning. For a short break it's a no brainer and you get to ride your own bike too.
hiya richp!
Did you put your bike in a conventional bike bag?

I ask 'cos I have booked a flight with BA to France next month and was thinking of taking the nice roadbike out there. BA do say they'll take bikes in a bikebag, but I wasn't sure.

cheers
Chris

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Frustruck said:
hiya richp!
Did you put your bike in a conventional bike bag?

I ask 'cos I have booked a flight with BA to France next month and was thinking of taking the nice roadbike out there. BA do say they'll take bikes in a bikebag, but I wasn't sure.

cheers
Chris

Yes, it was conventional soft bag - so both wheels off and loosened the handlebars to swivel them round and under. It was pain free TBH. i was worried about taking a carbon bike but nothing terrifying happened!

AndrewClark

Veteran
Just booked a return flight to Geneva for a little Alpine pootle.

Extra charge for the bike - £16.50 each way.

Extra charge for luggage - £6 each way.

Extra charge for paying by credit card £4.95.

Meh :wacko:

Top Bottom