Bike bags and easyjet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like they don't provide any protection. You'd be better off with the cardboard packaging new bikes are supplied in scrounged from a bike shop.
The handling is not down to easyJet but the baggage handlers at the airport.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Looks like they don't provide any protection. You'd be better off with the cardboard packaging new bikes are supplied in scrounged from a bike shop.

I totally agree about protection but can't figure out now I'd cycle to an airport with a massive cardboard box.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I'm planning our one-way summer trip and we're flying back from Geneva using Easyjet. We haven't flown with our bikes for YEARS...has anyone used these CTC bike bags with Easyjet in the past few years? I know they don't offer much protection but they're a good solution for one-way tours.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cyclin...OpuioKsJKhxmhAdJ_ihoCRzEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I have done so a few times but haven’t flown since 2017. I strapped an empty pannier over the rear mech for a bit of extra protection, turned the handlebars and removed the pedals. I‘m pretty convinced that the bike being visible means it will be less likely to be thrown on and off with ordinary luggage.

In Copenhagen I was asked to sign a damage waiver. In France I watched my bike being carefully transferred from its own baggage truck.

Good luck…

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should be able to fold it up so maybe get a taxi? All depends how far the bike shop is from the airport. You might get away with it using the bag but it'll be a gamble.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I believe the theory is that handlers take more care with a flimsy bagged bike than a tatty reassembled box.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm sure that lots of people will come on here and say that they have no problems with lightly padded bike bags, but... :whistle:

I put my new £2,000 Bianchi in one for its first trip to Spain. I was sitting in a seat above the baggage hold door, waiting to disembark from the plane, and suddenly saw my bike bag come flying out of the hatch and drop several metres onto a pile of suitcases on a luggage trailer. :eek:

When I looked at the bike at the hotel, one of the frame tubes had a dent and a crack in it. I may still have a photo somewhere... NOT IMPRESSED! Here you go (the black dots were marks I put on to see if the crack was spreading)...

After that I bought a reinforced bike box. That successfully protected the bike on my subsequent holidays, but baggage handlers threw that about on one trip and broke the corner of it! (I repaired the box with a piece of sheet aluminium cut and bent to fit and glued in with epoxy.)

I reckon something that obviously has a bike in it, but doesn't look too secure is probably the best bet.

Some advice:
  • Unbolt the rear derailleur, wrap it in bubble wrap, and tie it up inside the rear dropouts. A Scottish lad on my holiday had his derailleur hanger snapped off by his baggage mishandlers!
  • Get hold of spacers to put between the fork dropouts and between the frame dropouts. The ones I had were plastic rods which I had to tap into place. They reduce the risk of the fork or frame getting crush damage.
  • Consider putting pipe lagging on the frame tubes and fork legs for extra protection

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone!!!

classic33

Leg End Member
I believe the theory is that handlers take more care with a flimsy bagged bike than a tatty reassembled box.
Maybe it's because a loose plastic bag is less likely to go through the automated baggage system than a closed box.

And tie that in with the advice from ColinJ

a.twiddler

Veteran
It makes me very nervous to even think about flying with a bike. The plastic bag approach looks as if it will at least contain all the bits that the baggage handlers manage to break off so you can re attach them at your destination, if not too bent and battered. I used to fly fairly regularly, not so much in recent years, and used to see the casual way that baggage handlers slung cases about. I wouldn't want to put any fragile object or anything I valued at their mercy. Perhaps it's a lottery, as well as a matter of careful preparation as mentioned above.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm planning our one-way summer trip and we're flying back from Geneva using Easyjet. We haven't flown with our bikes for YEARS...has anyone used these CTC bike bags with Easyjet in the past few years? I know they don't offer much protection but they're a good solution for one-way tours.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cyclin...OpuioKsJKhxmhAdJ_ihoCRzEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I used one once, Glasgow to Gatwick, Gatwick to Bordeaux. So 4 sets of baggage handlers. The only damage was a slightly rotated brifter, easily fixed. But I appreciate I was lucky! I had taken the precautions mentioned by @ColinJ re spacers in place of wheel axles, and detached the rear derailleur from it's hanger.
I would also say that the airline used is largely irrelevant as they all use handling agents (Swissport/Servisair/Menzies/DNATA are the usual). I doubt very much that they take any extra care loading a bike onto an Emirates flight than they do for EasyJet.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Easy jet tried the damage waiver with us too and were surprised when my chum who writes contracts pointed out we already had one with them from when we bought the ticket.
Ha! Checking in to fly home I wasn’t really in a position to stamp my foot too hard with the handling agent. I suppose I could have stood my ground and missed the flight.

I would happily use the same packing method again but I have never risked spoiling a tour by flying to the start.

Top Bottom