Bike bags and easyjet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have flown all over europe with my bikes. I invariably use the cheap airlines. I use a home made bag made of spinnaker cloth. It amounts to a duvet cover with very thin elastic rope tied around it. I have never had a problem. My last flight was from Bulgaria to Denmark and I wrapped the Brompton in a duvet cover and shrink wrapped it at the airport. Travelling like this means I just wrap the cover up and take it with me for the return trip. The only trouble I have ever had is when I took it in a cardboard box . Talking to a couple of baggage handlers in Denmark. They said if a bike is in a box it is protected and they can throw it about. If it is in a soft bag it is not protected and they take more care. It makes sense to me.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I have flown all over europe with my bikes. I invariably use the cheap airlines. I use a home made bag made of spinnaker cloth. It amounts to a duvet cover with very thin elastic rope tied around it. I have never had a problem. My last flight was from Bulgaria to Denmark and I wrapped the Brompton in a duvet cover and shrink wrapped it at the airport. Travelling like this means I just wrap the cover up and take it with me for the return trip. The only trouble I have ever had is when I took it in a cardboard box . Talking to a couple of baggage handlers in Denmark. They said if a bike is in a box it is protected and they can throw it about. If it is in a soft bag it is not protected and they take more care. It makes sense to me.

Your bag sounds fascinating. Could you show a pic?

Oddly enough, I’m flying to and from Geneva myself this year using easyJet. I’ve never had any dealings with those bags as I’ve never flown one way but I’d be very dubious given the way the baggage handlers chuck them about. That said, what are the alternatives?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That said, what are the alternatives?
Hiring a bike when you get there?

I haven't been abroad since 2008 but I thought that I might try bike rental if I ever go again. (I just looked at the first bike hire shop I could find on the Costa Blanca where I used to go. It would cost around £220 for 12 days. It would cost £90 to take a bike on easyjet so that is only £130 extra and would save a lot of hassle and worry.

I haven't been abroad since 2008 but I thought that I might try bike rental if I ever go again. (I just looked at the first bike hire shop I could find on the Costa Blanca where I used to go. It would cost around £220 for 12 days. It would cost £90 to take a bike on easyjet so that is only £130 extra and would save a lot of hassle and worry.
Oh yeah, I never even gave that a thought
laugh.gif

Yeah I paid £90 to transport my bike bag but it’s much more robust than OP’s link.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Oddly enough, I’m flying to and from Geneva myself this year using easyJet. I’ve never had any dealings with those bags as I’ve never flown one way but I’d be very dubious given the way the baggage handlers chuck them about. That said, what are the alternatives?
The automated baggage handling system is worse. They're not really built for loose bags.

Flown to many countries with a bike in a hard case without any problems.

The bike is best stripped down wheels off/bars off/peddles off etc.

This is the only way I would trust a bike going through Cargo hold.

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Flown to many countries with a bike in a hard case without any problems.

The bike is best stripped down wheels off/bars off/peddles off etc.

This is the only way I would trust a bike going through Cargo hold.
How did you carry that on your bike?

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Yep I have hired in Mallorca a bit, rates rates pretty cheap there as plenty of competition. also hired in France when i fancied a day riding up and around Ventoux.

I can see if you are doing a longer tour you might want your own equipment re rack panniers etc, but for leisure day rides hiring is so easy and you can try a different bike. Take your own saddle for extra reassurance that it will be comfy and most places allow you to specify what pedal / cleat system you want fitting.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i used a hard case when i went to the alps via geneva back in 2017.....they still threw it around at baggage handling and it wasnt light either. At the same time many mountain bikers turned up with their bikes in the standard delivery boxes padded with polystyrene. They didnt look as neat and tidy when we got to geneva mind, they were crushed to death most of them, hate to think what damage was done to the bikes inside

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would box the bikes up, ship them using a courier service and then got myself to the airport. Less hassle, safer and likely cheaper.
It is certainly is easier. I sent my brompton to Bulgaria like that. But it is more expensive. Couriers are not cheap.

Top Bottom