Easyjet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moda

Looking to fly to Spain in around November. Anyone have any experience of Easyjet and bikes?

Is the £54 for a bike each way or in total? How do you package the bike for tge flight?
Any info appreciated

Brandane

Legendary Member

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Alan,

Do you have more of a blog than that. I found it interesting.

I find some airlines to be infuriating. You cannot contact them by phone or e mail. The same airline have different policies at different airports.

You would think they could sort themselves out a bit.

Steve

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Never had a problem with Easyjet. I've used cardboard boxes, soft and hard bags. The beauty of a non-see through bag/box is that you can fill it with clothes, shoes, tools etc.
It's £27 each way for the bike.

It is not always the airports that have different policies it is often the handling agents interpretations . This is why sometimes you have to stand your ground when checking in your bikes. Whenever I am flying with bikes I pack the bike according to the airlines instructions and take a printed copy of their policy with me.

Often we have come across confusing anomalies. At Gibraltar and again at Bordeaux we were asked not to bag up the bikes but just let the handlers wheel them to the plane, exactly as we rode them into the airport. Ryanair from Nimes took my bike with bars turned and pedals removed, no bagging, yet the same airline out of UK insists and them being boxed. EVA Air wanted bikes in bags out to Bangkok but were happy just to take them as they were for the return trip. So it really is a minefield.

I haven't done any other blogs on the subject, personally I think there are too many online, this one was only done in response to being asked many questions about wintering in Mallorca. If you have anything specific I can answer either post here or pm me.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Bikepacker. I do the same as you. Follow the airline instructions. But sometimes the airline don't know the instructions. Easy jet says box or bike bag. Box is easy but what is a bike bag? Is it a plastic bag that C2C send you, or is it a fancy padded affair from the bike shop? They don't tell you.

With Ryanair from Denmark to Pisa we did not need a box or bag. Pedals off and turn the bars around, that was it. On the way back we were asked at Pisa " where is your bike box". I showed them the photos of it being loaded in Denmark and they gave in.

What do you do with a bike box at your destination if you are touring around? They are not easy to hide and then you need another box to ship it back. If you are willing to take the chance a plastic bag and gaffer tape has got to be the best bet. Maybe even printing out disclaimers in different languages may help.

It's a minefield out there.

Steve

ankaradan

Thanks, anyone had any experience with easyjet and bikes?

I flew with Easyjet from Gatwick last month, and I was pleasantly suprised with how easy it was. I put the bike in a clear plastic bag, from CTC, with the handle bars removed and tied to the top tube, pedals off and in my panniers, and saddle dropped. It's a heavy steel tourer, so well over the 12kg limit on their website, especially with pannier racks etc, but they didn't seem overly concerned, especially since my hold luggage was well under the 20kg limit.

Brains

Legendary Member
My experience is it's little to do with the airline, and all to do with the baggage handling company at each airport.

We had a situation where Gatwick to Shannon was simply to turn the handlebars
However same airline Shannon to Gatwick the bikes had to be fully collapsed and boxed.

Top Bottom