Eat Out To Help Out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
We've used it quite a few times,took my kids out to local cafe yesterday.Probally wouldn't of if hadn't been a offer on.Have you seen what teenage boys can eat ! Daughter didn't do to bad herself.Both my.kids have used the scheme aswell.The local ice cream cafe put a few tables outside to make use of the scheme.I guess it's been good for resteraunts,cafes.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I still think it's a ridiculous idea to focus on one sector for a month.
Only been out for one meal but it was a Friday... had couple of takeaways with grown-up son and daughter.

johnblack

Über Member
I still think it's a ridiculous idea to focus on one sector for a month.
Only been out for one meal but it was a Friday... had couple of takeaways with grown-up son and daughter.
The latest ONS data confirms accommodation and food service as the most at risk area for insolvency with 24% of business' at either moderate or severe risk, (the rate for all industries is 11%). It is one of our largest industry sectors, employing a huge percentage of young and lower paid employees, so targeting the most "at risk", the low paid, the young and the largest sector would seem to be sensible rather than ridiculous. It also seem sensible to do that in a month when more people are likely to make use of it due to holidays and better weather. It also encourages people out of their homes and back in to the real world which is just as important.

Archie_tect

True John, but in September when the scheme closes and the schools are back and substantially fewer are going to eat in cafes and restaurants those same workers will be the first to be made redundant again... or do you keep it going at £550m/ month...

Chris S

Legendary Member
I don't live far from Ladypool Road. There are long queues outside the restaurants Monday to Friday but they're almost empty for the rest of the week. All this scheme seems to have done (locally) is to move trade from one part of the week to another, at the taxpayer's expense.

johnblack

Über Member
True John, but in September when the scheme closes and the schools are back and substantially fewer are going to eat in cafes and restaurants those same workers will be the first to be made redundant again... or do you keep it going at £550m/ month...
It's cheaper than keeping those employees on furlough and maybe my last point is the really important one, the hope is to move people out of their lockdown lethargy and back out in to the world. Alot of business' will be doing their own version of the August deal to try and keep the punters coming in, hopefuly August acts as a kickstart, lets hope so, because the alternative is horrible to contemplate.

Archie_tect

Extract from guidance, "...the scheme changed dramatically at the start of July as workers were allowed to work part-time while their companies still claim money from the government. From July 1 companies were able to bring back furloughed employees to work a flexible pattern and still claim back funds for time that they do not work, the government said in an update on June 17. However, this will only apply when a company has previously furloughed employees.
Companies are no longer be able to furlough new employees.
This return to work comes amid warnings that over half of UK businesses will be forced to lay off staff within three months after the government's furlough scheme ends after the scheme closes in October. According to a YouGov survey. Thirty-five per cent of business leaders said a fifth or more of their staff could be cut, while 21 per cent said a third or more of their staff members could be made redundant...."

While I have little faith in YouGov, I think everyone, in any business sector, who isn't essential to their core business will be put on notice of redundancy which means all those who haven't worked long enough for their employers will be straight out without any redundancy payments... it's a ruthless sector. It's going to get really messy and hard for unprotected zero hour and part time working people. A good time for them to join their unions as ACAS is a skeleton service who don't have resources to protect employment rights any more. After 31/12/2020 workers' rights be thrown out as the EU legislation is lost to the UK... those people who voted Leave who find themselves without protection will be left wondering what they've enabled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom