Eating for an overnight ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm planning on doing the Exmouth Exodus next weekend. Did it last year and finished, but felt I got my pre-ride eating seriously wrong.

Standard advice is eat lots of carbs the evening before major exercise so I had lots of pasta. Then had normal breakfast (porridge with dried fruit), possibly toast as well. Then had more pasta in the afternoon. Result of this was that I felt rather stuffed at the start, which meant I didn't really want to eat the food I carried for the ride - mainly flapjacks, which usually work well for me.

Did I just eat too much beforehand, or is a different pattern appropriate for an overnight ride?

i just eat normally the day before, with the addition of toast when i feel like a snack. on the day of the ride I'll have a bigger breakfast, muesli toast and fruit.probably a snack mid morning. two hours before i set off it'll be a tin of beans and 4 slices of toast.(our ride starts at 2pm)
i tried taking food on the ride bit found i didn't fancy eating it.
our overnight ride has a good few stops to buy food from shops that are still open and garage shops, so i got tins/pots of rice pudding and various pots/tins of fruit such as peaches and pears and fruit cocktail, as well as fresh fruit such as banana and apple.
.i did take a couple of flapjacks that i managed to get down but relied on the stuff i bought on route.
i found i could choose exactly what i fancied rather than what i thought I'd like before i set off.

personally , pre event I'd stick to what you normally eat, I've done about a dozen 24 hour rides and never bothered with pasta.i don't like to change my routine before an event.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Hello - also did the Exmouth Exodus last year so probably saw you somewhere en route. I also try to stick with what I usually eat the day before, but think your body does react differently overnight so take a mixture of savoury and sweet foods - cold pizza, flapjack, eccles cakes, glucose tablets as I don't usually want sweet things in the middle of the night.

That said, I didn't eat enough before the Exodus last year, had the world's smallest baked potato at the pub and was playing catch-up on calories right through the ride. I felt so grim at the mid way point that I didn't fancy any of my food, and was inhaling custard creams at the tea stop...

Top Bottom