Eating out in York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Quiet restaurant recommendations required for impending wedding anniversary (20 years hard labour) Not too dear mind.
Thanks in advance.

Canrider

Guru
Romantic: The Blue Bicycle, Fossgate is a York tradition for these sorts of occasions, serving French cuisine.

More relaxed: Melton's Too, Walmgate (there is a more formal Melton's on
Scarcroft Road). This time of year they should be doing seasonal menus, which means locally-grown asparagus. Very good prices, they also do tapas.

Vegetarian: Vanilla Black has moved to London, so try El Piano instead, especially if you can get a seat in one of the smaller upstairs rooms. Mexican and tapas.

Real Carnivore: There's an El Gaucho, an Argentinian steak-house on Walmgate as well, which will burn meat of all descriptions for you (yum!).

Indian: That's a toughie, the Himalayan on the Mount is (was?) pretty good, as was the Bengal Brasserie, but don't quote me on either of those as it's been a while.

Italian: L'Antiqua Locanda, Shambles (NOT Bari, opposite it). Fantastic Italian, not the usual Pizza Express/Ask 'popular Italian'. Excellent wine list.

Canrider said:
Romantic: The Blue Bicycle, Fossgate is a York tradition for these sorts of occasions, serving French cuisine.

.........through gritted teeth to French speaking academics who revel in every misplaced accent and spelling mistake on the menu. :rolleyes:

Maz

Guru
Canrider said:
There's also MaccyD's on Blake Street in York. Their fries are French.

Canrider

Guru
Patrick: Can't say, I've never been. :ohmy:
Problem is, now I'm sitting trying to guess which takeaway Crock went to.. :ohmy:

More relaxed: Melton's Too, Walmgate (there is a more formal Melton's on
Scarcroft Road). This time of year they should be doing seasonal menus, which means locally-grown asparagus. Very good prices, they also do tapas.

Totally agree, my fave place in York.

If you need any recommendations for Palma, just let me know.
Did I mention I'm in Palma at the moment?:ohmy:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Alleycats or Melton's Too.

Top Bottom