1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating out in York

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by sheddy, 2 May 2008.

1. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

Quiet restaurant recommendations required for impending wedding anniversary (20 years hard labour) Not too dear mind.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

We had my brother's Stag Weekend in York.

His name is Raj. So we went to an Indian Restaurant called The Rising of the Raj.

Fnnar fnnar.

3. Canrider

Canrider Guru

Romantic: The Blue Bicycle, Fossgate is a York tradition for these sorts of occasions, serving French cuisine.

More relaxed: Melton's Too, Walmgate (there is a more formal Melton's on
    Scarcroft Road). This time of year they should be doing seasonal menus, which means locally-grown asparagus. Very good prices, they also do tapas.

Vegetarian: Vanilla Black has moved to London, so try El Piano instead, especially if you can get a seat in one of the smaller upstairs rooms. Mexican and tapas.

Real Carnivore: There's an El Gaucho, an Argentinian steak-house on Walmgate as well, which will burn meat of all descriptions for you (yum!).

Indian: That's a toughie, the Himalayan on the Mount is (was?) pretty good, as was the Bengal Brasserie, but don't quote me on either of those as it's been a while.

Italian: L'Antiqua Locanda, Shambles (NOT Bari, opposite it). Fantastic Italian, not the usual Pizza Express/Ask 'popular Italian'. Excellent wine list.

4. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

.........through gritted teeth to French speaking academics who revel in every misplaced accent and spelling mistake on the menu. :rolleyes:

5. Maz

Maz Guru

There's also MaccyD's on Blake Street in York. Their fries are French.

6. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

The following evening, after we'd went to the Raj, we went to a Kebab Takeway near the Wall.

Food was good. Ambience not too bad. If you didn't mind the women with tattoos (and fists clenched); the drunken men (with fists clenched) and that underlying current of violence.

7. Canrider

Canrider Guru

Patrick: Can't say, I've never been. :ohmy:
    Problem is, now I'm sitting trying to guess which takeaway Crock went to.. :ohmy:

8. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I thought you all ate tripe and black pudding up there:ohmy::evil::ohmy:

9. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

It was away from the town centre. A road ran parallel to the wall (and the river). It was a really small place - queues out into the nondescript terraced houses full of students.

No other details as I'd had a few.

Sorry to distract you from your thread.

10. Hilldodger

Hilldodger Über Member

More relaxed: Melton's Too, Walmgate (there is a more formal Melton's on
    Scarcroft Road). This time of year they should be doing seasonal menus, which means locally-grown asparagus. Very good prices, they also do tapas.

Totally agree, my fave place in York.

If you need any recommendations for Palma, just let me know.
    Did I mention I'm in Palma at the moment?:ohmy:

11. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

J Bakers is a nice 'posh' style resto but not too pricey. Run by a friend of mine.

12. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Alleycats or Melton's Too.