Anyone had a clothes 'clear out' in recent years ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
With my new circumstances and major down size I am in the midst of a clear out.
I have just tackled my sock drawer(s). Blimey I need a skip for the 'no longer needed' socks......and I haven't even got to my 'walking' socks.
Seriously I have cleared out 30+ pairs and I know I will never wear what is left.

Next is all my T shirts, sweat shirts, dress/casual shirts.
Then all my winter tops.
It has to be done but its not easy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm quite good at clothes clear outs, but MrsF not so. She'll inspect what I'm chucking out to see if she can use the fabric. Anything good goes to the charity recycling bins, the rest to tip or as a bike rag (cotton t-shirts mainly as they soon go out of shape after washing.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have gone through several phases of weight loss and weight gain in the last 4 years. When I was thinner (30" waist and small/medium shirts) I bought a lot of nice stuff which I daren't throw out because I'm nearly down to that size again. I have mostly bought 2nd hand shirts and cheap tops in my bigger size, which don't last very long or at least don't look nice for long after a few washes. So I am due a clear out. I probbaly have 30 shirts and don't wear more than about 10 of them. So that bit is easy. Socks are easy as well, I have loads, if they have a hole then they can go. I keep a few pairs of shorts for the 3.5 days a year it's nice enough to wear them. And jeans, well I do have some older ones that I keep for work...and then forget and start doing DIY in my better jeans so they become work ones.

I'd really like to give the whole lot to charity and start again, but it's expensive. Charity shops I find now are very dear for good quality stuff that's not out of shape. And all the cheap stuff (under 6 or 7 quid) tends to be horribly mis-shapen or the tpye of stuff that's £10 new and nasty material

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My rule. If hasn’t been worn in the last 3 months, it’s out. Last week I took 3 bin bags full down the charity shop.

So every winter you have to buy new warm clothes !

And every funeral, or black tie event for that matter, a new suit.

And if you don't do any DIY for three months you need new painting trousers

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Fair point, I have kept my Barbour, it’s 22 years old.

I should clarify. When I have a sort out, if hasn’t been worn in the last three months, then it’s out.
I suppose it depends upon how often you have a clear out, but environmentally that doesn't sound good.

Top Bottom