Eating out of date food. Do you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I've just had haggis for breakfast which was 3 days past it's "use by" date, and very tasty it was too, So far, a couple of hours later, there have been no ill effects.

The reason I was eating it is because Mrs S refuses to eat anything that is past it's best by date, and is indeed firmly convinced that doing so will result in a 99% probability of death.

I, on the other hand, am much less fussy and will eat pretty much anything within reason and hate wasting food. I will happily eat anything out of the fridge which is 4 or 5 days past it's "use by" date, and have eaten tinned food without any problems which is months out of date.

What's the oldest thing you have eaten, and where would you draw the line?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
When the turkey or chicken has turned green I tend to give it to the fox
hate wasting food.
Mould on bread can be torn off if it isn't riddled with it.

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Oldest I'm aware of eating was a tin of beans that was five years old.

Aah! That explains your avatar then.

robjh

Legendary Member
If I was a food manufacturer stamping 'use by' dates on food products then I would choose a date way before the food went off or became unusable, partly to protect myself from even the teensy-weensiest chance of getting sued if someone gets a little tummy bug that a clever lawyer could try and link to my product, and partly so that my more naive customers will throw away good food early and then buy more of my products.

I bear this thought in mind when I see 'sell by' 'best before' and 'use by' dates.

Top Bottom