EBay Fees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Just sold my Kickr and rocker plate on eBay. Now I haven’t used eBay much lately for selling so maybe a bit rusty. Agreed on £550, which the buyer paid checked my account and eBay took just over £70 was shocked at that thought it would have been £15-20. Promptly cancelled the order refunded his money and will never be selling anything on there again

Mike_P

Guru
https://www.ebayfeescalculator.com/uk-ebay-calculator/ confirms that. eBay take 12.8% plus 30p if the payment is made through their payment system. If it's made via PayPal eBay's take is 10% while PayPal will take 2.9% plus 30% which is slightly more in total. As you have the buyers details maybe a private transaction especially if its one that is being collected. I was involved in a hobby clubs sales stand for a few years and they took 15% of sales of members items so I would not say eBay is particularly out of step.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
To be fair ebay have always charged 10%, and in past years that appears to have been hiked further as inkeeping with your experiences.

All that said, having sold on ebay for literally decades I've found it an increasingly abhorrent experience for many reasons - I too will never sell on their again either.

Sadly I still buy a fair bit on ebay as admittedly they've done an excellent job of providing a convenient marketplace for small / low value items.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
eBay's fees are high, but the selling price also tends to be higher than elsewhere. It's just something I factor into my sales.

If you list items when they have an offer on for sellers it reduces their fees quite considerably. Not that I've done that with the 40+ things I listed yesterday and today.

Mike_P

Guru
If you get a eBay offer of reduced charges, added credit or whatever make sure you have a copy outside of eBay messaging. The other year I had an offer of them crediting me subject to a specific number of items. No minimum sale value was stated so having sold the requisite number I enquired what had happened to the credit. They wanted see the offer, guess what had vanished from the messaging system.

The eBay 10% plus the financial handling charge by them or PayPal is something many sellers account for in their listing; it's quite common on hobby forums to see people complaining of eBay sellers profiteering when it's typically a case of the item being sold at around cost price plus the charges.

Reactions: C R
Good afternoon,

Just sold my Kickr and rocker plate on eBay. Now I haven’t used eBay much lately for selling so maybe a bit rusty. Agreed on £550, which the buyer paid checked my account and eBay took just over £70 was shocked at that thought it would have been £15-20. Promptly cancelled the order refunded his money and will never be selling anything on there again
I am confused, you entered into an agreement with ebay to sell something.

Ebay honoured their part of the agreement.

You didn't honour your part.

Then you come on here and boast that that you broke your word/that contract; How can you expect anything other than contempt?

How would you feel if you ran ebay and someone did that to you?

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Good afternoon,

Then you come on here and boast that that you broke your word/that contract; How can you expect anything other than contempt?

Bye

Ian

As with most things who reads all the small details. I wrongly assumed that the fee would be approx £15-20 which I’d argue is more than fair for the lack of work eBay actually has to do

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Good afternoon,

Bye

Ian
Well said @IanSmithCSE my thoughts as well . But I’m sure the buyer is fine with the sellers decision to withdraw the item .

gavgav

Guru

Completely agree, stopped selling on there after the last time I sold something and they took a whacking great amount from it. Facebook Marketplace for me since then, had no problems.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Well said @IanSmithCSE my thoughts as well . But I’m sure the buyer is fine with the sellers decision to withdraw the item .

So you think it’s fair eBay took over £70 for a turbo trainer just for hosting an ad when places like Facebook are free. Had I known they take that much i wouldn’t have accepted a lower offer

Gillstay

Über Member
I wholly agree that e bay have got greedy. They just keep turning the screw. Also I am not impressed with some of their decision making.

Just try reporting something you have bought that then appears to be stolen. I tried it once to zero effect. Not interested.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
So you think it’s fair eBay took over £70 for a turbo trainer just for hosting an ad when places like Facebook are free. Had I known they take that much i wouldn’t have accepted a lower offer
I agree it’s a big hit out of £550 .But I have been on the receiving end of this kind of action , I had always assumed it was because the seller was unhappy with price the auction achieved , but it may have been :eek::angry::cry::banghead:😱 over the eBay charges .
Mrs JK does her eBay selling when there are special offers on the fees .

D

Deleted member 26715

I think anybody it's brave to take a listing offer from eBay, they keep sending me one that says 80% off but try understanding the terms that it after you have searched for hours to find them

Mike_P

Guru
I had a snotty message from an annoyed punter whose bid I had apparently rejected. It was a free listing offer that was limited to sales within the UK and Ireland so eBay automatically rejected bids from elsewhere.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve just sold a few things on eBay with an 80% off deal, so around 2-3% fees. It’s straightforward and I’d had zero interest here. Same with bikes I’ve sold in the past.
I don’t think it’s too bad with a deal as you get a much bigger audience than any other marketplace

Top Bottom