Ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gucu

Regular
Hi All

I have converted several bikes to ebikes and sold them apart from one which my wife rides, so I am out to build another one. I have an old Raleigh Royal which I like the idea of sticking a motor on but it looks like it would be hard to get disc brakes on. So before I rush down that route I wanted to check what folks think about a build from the ground up. I want to add a 1500w + motor possibly going to 5000w and seeing if I can get it registered. I have been using an ebike for a daily commute of around 40 miles with a charge of the battery between trips! It is amazing fun even in the wet weather. However, it is let down by power on the Cornish hills (it is 500w) and so I want to upgrade. I know the rules about 250w on the road which is why I am thinking of registering.
The bike I am looking at building is possibly a stealth bike frame but all of them have rear suspension. I have always ridden hard tails with occasional front suspension. I love the idea of a street cruiser style frame.
Any thoughts please?

Rich

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi All

I have converted several bikes to ebikes and sold them apart from one which my wife rides, so I am out to build another one. I have an old Raleigh Royal which I like the idea of sticking a motor on but it looks like it would be hard to get disc brakes on. So before I rush down that route I wanted to check what folks think about a build from the ground up. I want to add a 1500w + motor possibly going to 5000w and seeing if I can get it registered. I have been using an ebike for a daily commute of around 40 miles with a charge of the battery between trips! It is amazing fun even in the wet weather. However, it is let down by power on the Cornish hills (it is 500w) and so I want to upgrade. I know the rules about 250w on the road which is why I am thinking of registering.
The bike I am looking at building is possibly a stealth bike frame but all of them have rear suspension. I have always ridden hard tails with occasional front suspension. I love the idea of a street cruiser style frame.
Any thoughts please?

Rich

You will be looking at the Bafang motors if crank drive or large rear hub drive. From my understanding is you cant have a fast flat ebike or a powerful hill climber ebike. Ebike motors tend not to be able to do both.

A crank based unit will have the benefit of multiple of the motors power so you might not need 1500W to climb really fast.

You will want an USA supplied unit so it will be capable of 28mph on the flat.

There are quite a few MSVA regs to meet to get your ebike as an S-Pedelec. Lights, brakes, tyres, display and protrusions. Then registration and insurance. Not impossible just time consuming.

There is fella has done a road legal ebike.

View: https://youtu.be/CHoMJqCrN2o

That's why lots of folk just modify the legal versions to be a little quicker.

What speed(flat and climb) or range are you wanting to achieve ?

OP
OP
gucu

gucu

Regular
I have a commute of around 30 miles (15 miles each way) to schools some of which don't allow me to charge my battery! Speed isn't so important, more power to carry me up the hills. Thanks

OP
OP
gucu

gucu

Regular
Hey Andy and thanks for the reply. I see you have added a reply into the Raleigh thread so I will probably keep going with that post. Thanks for the advice though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
However, it is let down by power on the Cornish hills (it is 500w)
The reason you are finding that is the motor is a direct drive design which has no torque.

They go well on the flat when wound up, but are useless on hills, making them useless for an ebike in the UK - and most other countries.

The geared hub motors, and the crank drive motors, have a lot of torque.

A 250w Bafang crank kit would easily out climb what you have.

A 1000w Bafang crank motor would be a brute of thing to ride.

Having said that, the 250w one is no ball of fire, but all you need is the 350w or 500w version.

At the very most get the 750w one, although I've heard of a couple of people who have them who have turned the torque down in the firmware because they found it too much.

Top Bottom