EDF again aghhhh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Save the hassle. Pay by direct debit, log on once a month and submit readings. Job jobbed. No letters, no going out to pay.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I get this regularly fromm residents and have found the easiest way to stop it, for any company I've tried thus far is phone the number press no buttons create 'a problem' human being picks up I explain they are effectively hassling older vulnerable people who aren't interested in the modern 'experience circus' that the simplest things seem to be these days and politely tell them I will contact the local MP if it isn't sorted now. Worked every time as of yesterday.

smart meters to make it possible to download an app and see your usage day by day

if you want that sort of thing
I do but it has never saved me a penny in spite of the adverts pretty much - but not quite - guaranteeing that it will

basically smart meters are there to save the companies money on people reading them
AND to give them loads of valuable data

and we pay for them - all of us - whether or not we get one
whoever negotiated that with the government must have got one hell of a pay rise!!

Venod

Eh up
One advantage of smart meters is the participation in the saving incentives on offer.
We are with Octopus and on several occasion we are incuraged to save energy between certain hours if you save more than you normally use during these hours you are awarded points that can be converted to money to lower your bill, we managed to lower our bills last winter.
If you don't have a smart you can't participate.
So for us there has been no downsides to our smart meters, but only positives.

One advantage of smart meters is the participation in the saving incentives on offer.
We are with Octopus and on several occasion we are incuraged to save energy between certain hours if you save more than you normally use during these hours you are awarded points that can be converted to money to lower your bill, we managed to lower our bills last winter.
If you don't have a smart you can't participate.
So for us there has been no downsides to our smart meters, but only positives.
Yes - same here
You also need them for the "Smart Export Guarantee" if you have solar panels and export to the grid

Last year I got some money back in the winter discount thingy where you got money back if you used less than usual at a specified time

I sort of cheated by charging the batteries up from the grid before the time so I could cook dinner as usual but it all came from the batteries

The companies are also starting to use them for charging different rates ta different times based on current grid demand and supply
In theory they could end up paying you to use electric at certain time of day!
But again all that needs the smart meter

BUT they are not without problems - I have been OK - despite error being logged most days - but there have been a lot of problems for some people

Gillstay

Über Member
Whats wrong with smart meters ?

I fitted one after pressure from British Gas and now end up being charged for my own electricity off the solar panels. So very much can be wrong. So changing suppliers. Complained to British gas and ended up with an e mail basically saying if you don't reply we will consider you to be happy. If you want to reply please tell us why your now happy.
The regulator was saying on Radio 4 that waiting times for customer service was quite good at an average of 10mins. So tried the phone and was around 70 inline each time, so tried the chat and was 363rd in line.

Sadly we're being forced onto shart meters in our new house :sad:

The meterr isn;t the problem - if you want it to be used as a normal meter then tell them and they can (have to????) disconnect it

of course - the transmitter is normally in the same box as the electric meter - a faraday cage around it would stop the transmissions and it would "go dumb"
not that I am recommending it - but I presume it would work - I'm not sure how to do it safely but you can get fabric pockets for car keys so.....

Top Bottom